Happy Thanksgiving 2022

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
There are many persons, things, and matters of providence I am thankful for. I am so thankful my brother got me involved in this delightful hobby. When the flowers and other plants outside have died back from the cold weather, I really enjoy my reef tanks that are always "in bloom" with delightful color. I am thankful for this forum and for you all.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
There are many persons, things, and matters of providence I am thankful for. I am so thankful my brother got me involved in this delightful hobby. When the flowers and other plants outside have died back from the cold weather, I really enjoy my reef tanks that are always "in bloom" with delightful color. I am thankful for this forum and for you all.

I absolutely love my camellias this time of year. It is most unfortunate I will be ripping them out shortly. We had our plumbing replaced under the slab before Hurricane Ida and the excessive rain cause the ground in front of my house to cave in under the slab. I have to remove everything so I can fill under the slab and bring the front of the house back to proper grade for drainage...or risk more damages under the house. The gardenias also did not do well from the storm, all the exiting growth died and the new growth looks awful. They are spreading out instead of filling in. That salt spray was just nothing nice. I love gardenias but think I will leave them out on my future garden plans.

My "driveway" garden is also coming out but for a slightly different reason. This is a 9' by 36' garden in front of my circle driveway and everything there is now dyeing of root rot since the hurricane. Not to mention, everything has a notable lean to the west LOL. But off of my Indian Hawthornes are dead and the roots are shot. My tall junipers look ridiculous with their lean. The azaleas are still nice, but I dont think they will survive the double translate the remove them, mediate the soils and then put them back. I may move them to my backyard so they only move once. My backyard is not very large, so this is not decided final yet.

The notable survivors in my neighborhood after two direct hurricane hits are hollies, camellias and azaleas. And what I call azaleas are really rhododentrums I think. I do not believe true azeleas do well down here. The soils here really suck for gardening.