Help or Suggestions related to new fish not making it

Users who are viewing this thread

Caleinbtr

FeatherDuster
So i've had my current reef tank for some time, roughly 4 years. Fish include a mystery wrasse, melanarus, clown, flame hawk, and coral beauty). Tank is roughly 90 gallons (Red Sea Reefer 350), radions for light, parameters are stable, but i'm having an issue with the last three fish i've tried to add not making it. I did not try to add expert or high demand fish, one being a goby, and the other were two more wrasses (not same species or identical looking so not a fighting issue i dont think). I have tried to add a new fish once a month for last three months. I have a pretty good routine in terms of water changes and watching my parameters and my numbers look are good. Existing livestock are in good shape and happy.

Suggestions on what I may be missing. Something i can look into or check out.

Much thanks,

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Did you qt the fish first? What acclimation method? Barring disease or shock from being added to a new enviroment could a established fish be killing them or some other established inhabitant?

Caleinbtr

FeatherDuster
Float for temp acquisition, then drip to acclimate for about two hours per fish then into the main tank

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I see one of two possibilities. @Lloyd Williams and @Humblefish are both reasonable possibilities.

So i've had my current reef tank for some time, roughly 4 years. Fish include a mystery wrasse, melanarus, clown, flame hawk, and coral beauty).
You have had this tank for several years the same fish. They have all established their territories. Now you are trying to add another fish and they are not having it. To offset this, you may have to remove all the fish, rearrange the live rock and corals and then introduce everyone, including new fish at the same time. Of the fish you listed, the clown is the most likely culprit.

Once a female clown establishes a territory, they will not want any new intruders. They have a reputation of dominating whole tanks. If you remove all the patterned skin, they are still a damsel on the inside. Maroons are famous for this, but the others will do the same thing with enough time.

The pygmy angel is also another possibility, but not as likely as the clown. I do not expect the wrasse to do this. The flame hawk may eat smaller fish, but probably not the ones you are adding. I added a school of masked gobies to my tank and my Falco ate them one by one over the period of a few months. It took a while to figure out why they were slowly disappearing. Once I figured it out, it was too late. The fish were so small and so fast there was no way to get them out of the tank.

ggcc. Bbbbbijnnnklokinnhhvvvvcxzsqikkkmnnjuhbbb. Cash [mention]n. XzzcCcccxX. B h CC guyccc [/mention] でしな

No speaking in tongues on this forum buddy!

Might wanna test your DT to see if any latent diseases are present: https://lareefclub.com/community/threads/black-molly-quarantine.50648/
+1. I would do this ASAP. Put the molly in your sump, or some other location it cannot be directly approached by your other fish.

The possibility here is you have a disease present in your tank that your current fish are immune to but new additions are not. The black molly will show this very quickly as they have no immunity to salt water born diseases.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
All great advise and questions.

One thing that is more a mystery is your water parameters you list as good / stable
What are they ?