Hurricane evacuation

Users who are viewing this thread

Peonevil

Aptasia
Hi everyone !

so if you live in southern Louisiana like myself, hurricane Ida look pretty bad! I am planning on evacuating to ms and bringing my 8 gallon reef with me. Any suggestions on how to do this? I might drain the water and place the rock , coral and fish in a 5 gallon bucket leaving the sand in the tank( will I need to aerate the sand as well for the drive? I have an aerator I use for my livewell so that will work on my bucket with all animals in it - hopefully I will not have to stay out too long from home BUT if I do I plan to just place everything back in the tank while gone and repeat the process again on the way back. No generator and the ups backup will not do anything should I lose power for a few days. Anyone try something like this before? I can’t imagine what I would do w a large tank -

thank you all and stay safe! Any input/ direction is greatly appreciate!

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
No, first I have heard of this. I would recommend using 5 gallon buckets with lids and battery powered air pumps. You do not needs lights, food wave makers, etc for 2 or 3 days. Anything longer and you may want to setup a rubber made container as a temporary tank.