Informative new video on chaeto

Users who are viewing this thread

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Nice post, thanks for sharing.
I've seen this one as well and following the progress of their four tank test.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
This is fantastic!

It also supports my arguments in that dumb post a year or so ago when I stated that PAR and color spectrum is important in a refugium. Will be great to watch this over time. BRS does some great video series.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
My brother ordered this light below for me to try with growing chaeto. It should do OK... better than a daylight spectrum bulb from Lowes or Home Depot:

http://www.gearbest.com/table-lamps/pp_572250.html

I will let everyone know how it works for me. I just cannot afford $300 for a fuge light. Even if I had the money, I cannot see spending that much. Anyone know of a more affordable yet comparable light that has similar spectrum to this Kessel fuge light?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
My brother ordered this light below for me to try with growing chaeto. It should do OK... better than a daylight spectrum bulb from Lowes or Home Depot:

I will let everyone know how it works for me. I just cannot afford $300 for a fuge light. Even if I had the money, I cannot see spending that much. Anyone know of a more affordable yet comparable light that has similar spectrum to this Kessel fuge light?

I think any plant bulb that is dialed in for the light spectrum for chlorophyl A will work fine. I built my one from Rapid LED. I used a 1.6" heat sink and set it up with 10 photo reds, 2 royal blues and 1 cool white. It "looks" right. Algae growth has not been impressive though. The PAR is more than adequate, but I need a PAR Meter to know for sure. My only concern is having almost all reds and blues will skew the results.

I have tried to find a breakdown on the Kessil Horticulture bulb and have not found one yet. I did find a teardown on the Tuna Blue and that helped me a lot in coming up with my light program. If I ever found one on the H bulb, I will redo my rig to match it for sure.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Algae growth has not been impressive though.

I should have clarified that statement lol. My chaeto was growing dense but white. I spoke with Turbo over at Turbo Aquatics and he told me it was classic photo over saturation - too much light and not enough nutrients. I have sense set my lights to a 10 hour photo period and then nuisance algae took over my tank. I am slowly increasing the refugium photo period to try and find a good match. My calurpa is finally starting to take off in a nice dense green color. Chaeto is so far MIA and may need to be reseeded.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter

I has great success with a 55 gallon refugium full of feather caulerpa, blade caulerpa and other macro algae from time to time using two 24" t5 bulbs daylight spectrum 8-10k
Got excellent growth and only changed the bulbs once per year or so.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I don't have enough room in my sump. Was thinking about a hob refugium.

Anyone use these? It looked in the video that they do make a difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say yes they would mak a positive impact for pod population plus nutrient export.
Removing how much nutrients will depend on how much water volume, food added to tank, waste from critters amd other nutrient export systems such as sock, skimmers and water changes are performed.
Hard to say how big or little of impact a HOB fudge would be but I will stay on the line of thought beneficial.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

I ran a CPR HOB fuge on my 90 gallon reef 10 year ago. The impact on nutrients was noticeable within weeks and it was actively putting pods in my tank to feed my chromis in a couple of months.

Intruder76

Skimmate
I ran a CPR HOB fuge on my 90 gallon reef 10 year ago. The impact on nutrients was noticeable within weeks and it was actively putting pods in my tank to feed my chromis in a couple of months.

Thanks. Good to know. What did you have in your fuge?

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter

I have used them for years. It is worth the money. IMO, try to get one that is as large as you can manage behind the tank. Plumbing in a separate tank on the side is not a bad idea either.