Lazys two 20s

Users who are viewing this thread

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Ive been on here a while now and have not done an actual thread for either of my tanks on here that I can recall. Some of the coral and macros in these tanks is fairly frequently swapped between the two. I'm running a single ai prime on the 10g and x2 on the 20 all slaved to one light so they are on the same schedule I have sicce pumps in both the .5 on the 10 and the 20 is running the 1.0? Or something lol cant remember now. All bi weekly water changes and bi monthly media changes and weekly changing of filter floss is done at the same time to simplify things. I'm just kinda throwing them both into the same thread. I hope that's ok. the 10g has been up about 4 years and I think the 20 has been up 3 years now. No heaters no skimmers no ato. Top offs are done with tap water. Yes tap water. I have a well system so no chlorine and it's worked fine for all my fw and sw tanks. I started fw 25+ years ago and sw nearly 15 years ago. I test it with a tds meter ocasionaly. I know it's not recomended but it works fine for me and I dont have nutrient or algae issues. The tanks are in my bedroom stay a prety constant temp not having heaters hasnt hurt anything so far I had more problems with overheating than anything else when I had a heater I still have them around just incase it gets freakishly cold or something but I dont realy use them I had one literaly blow up in a fw tank a few years ago and my bff had one malfunction and litteraly explode after it nearly cooked her 120. The only way I would run one constantly again is if I had an ink bird with some kind of thermal fail safe back up for the ink bird incase it died. Some things happened and I had been neglecting my tanks rather badly lately but I recently restarted my normal maintenance routine and they are starting to bounce back. Here's the 10. Some things were a little unhappy this was a few weeks ago not long after a water change.
20200104_204823.jpg
20200104_205111.jpg
here's the 20.
20190727_212228.jpg
Older pic I've been fiddly with rockwork lately I take a updated pic when I get it where I want it. Also took out that green Kenya. Gave it to the girl who's tank got cooked.
20200104_202354_1.gif
here's the clowns being cute in the toadstool.

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Black Perc
I forgot to add but I'm running the spin stream on the 10g and have a jebao ow10 wavemaker on the 20 with nothing on the returns. I run filter floss chemipure blue and an extra bag with carbon/renew mixture. I have o tank filter media baskets one in the 10 and 2 in the 20

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Very nice tanks! They some what remind me of the older reef tanks that you just dont see any more :)

Question - what in the world is that pissed off sake bottle looking thing in the top right of picture No 2 :D

Lazyfish

Black Perc
20200129_105021.jpg Lol it's a solar powered daruma doll with a maneki neko (beckoning cat) sitting on it that waves. I moved it a few days ago. I stick weird things on the acrylic filter section covers. It still has open areas so it not completely sealed but it slows evap and stops splashes. It's now on top of my 15g colum planted tank hob filter with a small beckoning cat that also waves. A tardis and teacup that were on top of my 8g planted that I took down to set up the 15 now sit on the back section covers of the 10. On the 20 a tardis teapot and mug and I have a baby groot hanging on my ai prime cord on the planted tank lol. I'm just weird like that. I'll try to get a pic of all my tanks lined up with the weird stuff I put on them lol.

Last edited:

Tupes

Clarion Angel
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Very nice. I like seeing tanks that have very minimal equipment on them. All tanks prior to my current setup was like that also. Now I have an apex and some other stuff that I really don't need and I'm wanting to add a doser to my system now also.

Keep up what ever you are doing, as you are definitely doing it right.

Do you have any progression photos?

Lazyfish

Black Perc
A few. I'll have to get them from my laptop tonight and check the dates on them I should post some more recent update photos after that sometime. I've been fooling with my 15g fw planted tank mostly this week so not alot of sw pics recently I just upgraded it from my planted AIO 7.5/8g or whatever size. That tank was previously a sw florida biotope before it was a planted fw. I'm waiting on some carpeting plants I ordered to come in. I had to upgrade because my lace plant was shading itself out and losing alot of leaves recently it's looking much better now has 3 new leaves growing alredy.

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Not much going on in the 10 but the 20s been rescaped...again . I finaly settled for a simple pile in the back middle open on the sides and higher on the left with a shelf on the far right. No visable caves but there there lots in the back. The cherub uses them. I kind have the cave thing going on
in the 10 and the 10 has a open 2 island thing going on too I wanted these to be very diffrent looking from each other. The cherub suddenly is steeling food from my trachy and fights my clowns to get at it. I'm hoping it stops after moving things a bit otherwise it may end up going to the fish store. Only realy intresting thing is that while moving things I found about 10 baby rfa ranging in size from pin head to 1/4 inch. 4 are alredy anchored in the rocks I put the rest in a small jar in the tank. To try and keep up with them. They spawn frequently but I only get babies a few times a year. I wasnt even realy looking to grow any out but I found them so now oh well.

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Not the best pic of the 20 the and kennya and cabbage are still mad the trachs not super happy either I found some baby rfa under him. Some particulate still in the water from me rooting around for nem babies. You can see the jar with the little nems on the right. The spiny orange had to be moved he wasnt doing g well all if a sudden where he was dident even open up for weeks and parts started peeling off ..its open now at least.
20200411_162836.jpg

In the 10 some corals are also mad I partialy scraped off the glass not long ago. I really need to do a better job and fully clean both tank walls but these allergy meds have me loopy took a 4 hr nap an I'm about to fall asleep again. One of these days I'll take a no e pic with everyone happy seems like I usualythink about taking them when I've been up to my elbows messing with them all day.
20200411_133643.jpg
oh and the smaller toadstool is in the 20 now it was getting too big in the 10.

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Thats very kind BluewaterLa. They would look much better if it was more regular. Unfortunatly these went more than a month with no water changes and 3 weeks late with changing my filter media. The time before that was at least 3 weeks late for water change. I was doing it every 2 weeks regularly with great results but have been very busy lately and this mess with corona the qt and a job in nursing blearg... I haven't had the energy to deal with it as I usualy do been prety wiped out with that and allergies. This was my off weekend and I managed to finaly do some maintenance. They look a bit sickly to me compared to what I'm use to seeing. In person the colors and expansion just arnt there right now.

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Attempted some filters made colors pop but so blurry. VERY angry with my cherub right now. '!imp!'It found it's way into the jar holding the 7 baby rock nems in it and flung sevral out while he tried to escape. I found some I'm down to 5 in the jar and 5 in the rocks I'm hoping to find the ones he flung out one was super nice looking. ':fiddle:'I made a top out of crate to keep him out next time. Also my nosey kitten decided to go swimming...shes been getting ontop of the glass top when I'm messing with the tank. Nosey cat.... and I keep running her off this time the top wasnt on and....well...wet cat...
20200412_180013.jpg
20200412_175706.jpg

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Black Perc
20200519_191202.jpg
20200519_191049.jpg
Just cleaned the 20g did wc clanged media scraped glass bla bla and ....somehow managed 2 slice 2 small holes in my trachy':oops1:' ( jabba the hut )with my glass scraper. Ones like a pin hole the other is about 1/4 inch. I'm really concerned about it. (Freaking out a bit actualy)':scream:'I lost my other trachy pizza the hut sevral years back after some minor dammage turned into rtn. I've had this guy almost 4 years. It was bleached when I got it but has developed great colors and gotten huge. Its my favorite coral. It gets over 7 inches when fully inflated but right now its half deflated and has the spots with the holes all sort of scrunched up to keep them closed it looks so sad.'gloomyg'

In the 10 I just added a new aesop's nano skimmer. (TIGHT FIT) I'm surprised but the micro bubbles have significantly gone down after only a few hours and it is currently trying to skim some light tea looking muck. It needs some adjustment and to break in still. I'm still hoping the rest of the micro bubbles go away in the next few days. If it works well I will put one in the 20.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Best thing you can do is keep up with water changes to keep harmful bacterial levels as low as possible to reduce infection into the flesh.
If the cuts are just on the fleshy outer parts it should be fine in the absence of a lot of harmful bacteria. The damage being close to the skeletal structure in my experience usually results in deterioration.
Hope for a good outcome.