Lazys two 20s

Users who are viewing this thread

LsuHunter

Peppermint Shrimp
You should check out Knockout Corals in Metairie or at least join his Facebook life page to save a drive. He has been selling a ton of nice ricordea the last few months, and honestly nobody can beat his prices/quality. He travels to coral shows all over and brings back tons of nice pieces. Every 2-3 weeks he has meetings in Texas and delivers for free which is even better.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
I wish Unfortunatly that's just over 1.5 hours to get there and 1.5 hours back...I dont out that way much.

LsuHunter

Peppermint Shrimp
That why you need to check him out on Facebook, he does sales and auctions on there and will deliver for free. Or just message him what you are looking for and he can provide you a bunch of options. Much better then paying a random website vendor.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
I realy need to get all those frags out of the standard 20...starting to look like a jungle the green Kenya are getting quite large. And my crabs keep tossing them off the rack anoying...

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
The favia always looks nice even looks decent just with camera flash. I dont see it with out feeders this time of morning often.
20220505_051227.jpg
The not dead monti is still putting along. No more tissue resession. Realy surprizingbi thought it was gone the way it was melting in the bag when it arrived. Still waiting to see if it just up and dies on me.
20220505_051313.jpg

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Monti actualy had polyps showing this morning starting to think it wont die...
The new acan is looking alot better. I pulled 8 more stars out disappearance of zoas has slowed significantly now that I started eradicating them. I lost about half my speckled fire and ice all of my bam bam and almost all of my fruit loops I still see 2 polyps and I have a one polyp frag in the other tank. They seemed to focus on those and my grandis look realy realy angry.

The snake polyp, sunny d, vulcans blood and gator eyes, pink diamond, morphed whatever they weres and rastas all look untouched. In fact the rastas seem happier than ever.

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Not sure what to make of what I just found in the standard 20. A rfa had walked off and has been MIA for a bit now. It showed up stuck to my clam surrounded by a pile of about 30 babies some of them are quite large the nem appears to be in distress and some more large ones came out it's all shrunk up and fell off the clam there is a perfectly round hole in the center of the foot and I can see straight through and out the mouth. It's still sticky but will most likely die. Some of the babies appear fine others look bleached and pale.
I dont know of any kind of physical dammage done to the nem prior. I doubt the babies dammaged it. All other nems in the tank appear normal. I'm not sure what caused this it's a real mystery.
I collected the babies I guess I'll try to grow them out.

Now I have even more "frags" to deal with in here.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
I realy need a frag tank..I dont have room for the 10 right now and will be probly moving in the next year so I dont like the idea of having another hefty tank to move but I cant stand those frags in my tank any longer....I ordered a jbj 3g cuby instead I will set it up for the frags would be very easy to move and I can tuck it under the pininsula tank on the stand. There isnt enough clearance there for the 10g.

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Broke a branch off my branching cyphastrea again. Oddly one branch the highest is pinkish brown and pink next one down s 2 shades of pink and the other lowest one looks allmost bleached with pink polyps...not sure why all at about the same height and place in tank.
Fluffy acan island
20220512_111728.jpg
20220512_111855.jpg

Fluffy trach pile.
20220512_111355.jpg

Top down.
20220512_111301.jpg

Fts
20220512_111502.jpg

Bristle worm, micro brittle star, margarita snail and collinista snail all hitching a ride...there's a stomatella om the other side maby the cleaner magnet is tasty...
20220512_111602.jpg

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
After talking back and forth with Aquasd I placed a small order including a single rhodactis I wanted 2 zoa and a florida ricordia and they also shipped me a another anemone crab and replacement shroom and a kind of looks like a blea color frag of a single polyp gonistrea. The crab I got originaly was missing limbs a claw and some legs. It's still alive but hides alot. The replacement shroom looks nothing like what they were replacing instead its a carbon coppy on the new one I just ordered they could have just sent a difrent color if they were doing that...oh well atleast it's a fat healthy one.
The crab is whole and active. The rest of my order looks correct this time and corals look much happier than the last order. Curently starting acclimation working on temp acclimation first then will drip acclimate as per usual.
Used a yellow filter on pics from thismorning no filter on these.
20220512_134146.jpg
20220512_134114.jpg

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
The replacement ricordia is actualy much closer to the one I ordered the first time and didnt get. It dosnt actualy look like the other new one as I had first thought.
The gonistrea frag looks better out the bag too.
Water smells difrent than last time...like slightly sweet and um tangy(?) and kind of like phyto also maby they just fed or dosed something prior to packing. Things look alot happier this time.

EDIT: It's almost 5pm and the corals and crab are in the tanks. The new crab I named Ogre is checking out the new digs. Shes bigger and has less spots than Goblin the dammaged nem crab. Goblin is oblivious to the new one so far. I think they are both girls.
20220512_160635.jpg
20220512_160225.jpg

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Bit concerned this morning. I did a waterchange yesterday and added those new corals did not put any of the bag water in tanks. Both tanks had basicly the same things done to them on yesterday. The standard 20 was fine this morning and at first glance so was the penensula but then I saw that the clowns in the penensula were both breathing very fast but there color was good and they are active and hosting all over there usual toadstool. The corals and inverts all look fine and were quite fluffy this morning. I didnt have time to do another a water change or any testing before going to work. I tossed in a fresh bag of chemipure blue and some carbon and changed the filter fluff. Probly should have hooked up my skimmer but I've had it off line a while now and didnt want to risk an over flow leaking on my flooring it's not properly set. Keeping my fingers crossed they are ok when I get home. All I can think of is maby at somepoint after regular mantinance I may have put my hand back in that tank but not the other one to adjust something and had some chemical on me for some reason cant recall useing anything maby hand soap but the corals seemed unafected or perhaps the air freshener I sprayed in the hall had drifted into the room and contaminated the tank nearest the door. The top is mesh and I'm getting good water movement at the surface and through the back chambers nothings changed. Gona be worrying all day about this.
Plan on mixing a new batch of sw useing well water as soon I get home I prefer rodi but in a pinch it will do I use it frequently for top offs as is with no problems.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
the clowns in the penensula were both breathing very fast
Being the corals/inverts all looked fine, that likely rules out something environmental like a toxin or low O2 in the water. Which unfortunately, leaves parasites or worms inside the gills as a distinct possibility...

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
The new corals from yesterday and last week were all dipped/ and most were also washed in fresh water prior to adding. Has been a while since any fish were added. Contamination with a parasite could still be possible..It just seemed realy strange it was litteraly last night they looked/acted normal with no signs or symptoms of anything .I gave them a good look after the water change and before bed at 10 pm and this morning at 4 am they are breathing realy fast and hard. The shrimp was on high ground also on top of the green Kenya that's very unusual for it to leave the rfa but it was acting ok. No signs of velvet or ick couldnt see any thing in/on or hanging out the gills. No flashing or scratching and they ate yesterday night like hogs. My course of action will likely be determined by what I find when I get home. The corals looked fine but thats with the lights off. They may not yet be showing any effects if there is something going on hope I dont come home to dead fish or rotten coral soup.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
The clowns may have just had an active morning just before you got to look at them as they calmed down so they were still breathing a bit heavy.
I'd be careful making so many changes quickly and adding things to the tank on top of water changes like chemi pure and carbon which can upset the corals.

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
I had someone check the fish for me the female was breathing very hard and mostly staying on the toadstool still at 1pm but the others were comming around but reported that some corals and clam were not opening fully.

I'm just getting home the fish all appear fine now no gasping the shrimp is back where it belongs they ate for me although not quite as enthusiastically as normal. Most corals look ok but some look slightly irritated the clam is only half open acans and trach dont look as normally puffy right now. Toadstools closed and cabage coral looks a bit angry.

I'm about to start testing. I will be keeping a close eye on the fish for possible parasitic infections and getting some stuff together incase I need to try and set up a hospital tank. I have parazipro and other things on hand incase I have to medicate them. Seeing as some of the corals are irritated. I'm also still wondering if it was some kind of mild chemical contamination or a alk swing.The water was sitting in the containers about 48 hrs before I used it but I've not had an issue with this before.

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
The alk was low on both tanks 7.2 ...correcting that now. Wish I had some water left from the change to test it should be higher after a water change. Probly should start testing before I put it in the tank next time. Restarted the skimmer too. Things are perking up. Still strange only livestock in one tank reacted maby some of that room spray smell stuff did get in there aswell being as the other tank didnt have a similar reaction.

@BluewaterLa
I just re read what I posted it actualy sounds like I doubled up the chemipure But I didnt add more chemipure I just swapped out the existing one for a fresh bag.

Last edited:

Lazyfish

Neon Goby
Everything looked OK this morning. No gasping fish no droopy corals. Viewed at lights off but nothing concerning noted. I will let the extra carbon run untill tonight to make sure theres nothing in there...The skimmer went a little nuts last night but didnt overflow so I emptied it this morning it seems to have calmed down.

Still not sure if this was completly from the alk being off/low o2/ high co2 or something got in the tank. Other tank looks fine and the new nem crab Ogre seems to like the frags for some reason and is ignoring the copious amounts of rfa in the tank so far.

Learned something intresting recently. Squat lobsters are actualy much more closely related to porcelain crabs than anything else and neither of them are actualy true crabs or lobsters the next closest relations are actualy hermit crabs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Still not sure if this was completly from the alk being off/low o2/ high co2 or something got in the tank.
Do you ever test pH? For some reason, fish seem more sensitive to that than corals/inverts.