Leptastrea

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I love plating and encrusting corals! My somewhat new leptastrea from Pitts337 is one extremely tough and beautiful LPS. When I added my sandbed to the tank, I accidentally left a small frag of leptastrea out overnight exposed to air, thinking it a was a piece of rubble. I put it back in the tank the next morning and- believe it or not- it is doing exceptionally well and has not lost even one little polyp! I don’t know if I’ve ever had that experience with any other coral. I don’t have the right photo lens or filter to take pictures to do this coral any justice. That is why I am posting this YouTube video of one that looks exactly like mine:

According to Tidal Gardens: “Leptastrea is a member of the Faviidae family and are an LPS coral despite their small polyp size. These corals grow in dome shapes and come in many different color morphs.”

https://www.tidalgardens.com/wysiwyg-orange-green-leptastrea.html

Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
Tried this coral twice. Did not make it. One of those corals that does not like my tank.
Wow! I was under the wrong assumption that this is a coral that anybody could grow. I did hear experienced reefers say that sort of thing about acans

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
QUOTE="Prairie Dog, post: 508634, member: 2859"] One of those corals that does not like my tank.[/QUOTE]

Don't you hate that lol I have a lot of zoas in my tank ,, they all seem to do good ,, more or less ,,, but the WWC Purple Monster ,, it grows like a weed in friends tanks ,, but in my tank ,, geez ,, I have tried these 3 or 4 times in my tank and they don't do worth squat ,, fixing to give them another go .. at least I don't have to pay for them ,,

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I never updated this tread in a while because I forgot the name of this coral. My lack of memory does not surprise me. @clsanchez77 reminded me of the name. As he pointed-out, these corals only like low to moderate light intensity.

These are reef-building corals. They will develop massive bodies if you let them so be careful where you place them. By the way, I found this pic of one of the world's largest single coral colonies. I am not sure of this LPS species. Wow!

PRI_195254095.jpg

I tried an experiment with this coral to grow them side-by-side to see if they would do some sort of grafting. It did not work. The larger red one started to grow over the smaller green leptastrea. I thought about trimming back the overgrowing rim of the red yet figured that would have been an ongoing, monthly chore. I separated and fragged them. Some of the frags include polyps of both. Time will show how those will turn out.

20211004_135827.jpg

I am curious if someone else on LARC is currently growing these. I am especially curious if someone else has a different coloration than the two that I already have. Any stores carry a different one?

Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I just discovered a vendor calling a leptoseris a leptastrea. They are similar in growth patterns yet very different corals as far as polyp appearance and uniformity go.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I just discovered a vendor calling a leptoseris a leptastrea. They are similar in growth patterns yet very different corals as far as polyp appearance and uniformity go.

They are very different corals ;)

The Leptoseris is in the Agariciidae family, which includes your low light plating corals such as Agaricia, Leptoseris and Pavona. The plating can be horizontal and/or vertical, depending on species. Common colors are greens & browns.

Leptastrea is going to be in your classic faviid families, which is the large boulder type corals you had a picture of the other day. The entire group of encrusting LPS corals , aka closed brain corals, was recently reclassified and I am not at all familiar with the new system. Currently classified as "Scleractinia incertae sedis", which means they don't know where it belongs right now :D. This genus of corals looks like it might be homeless for the time being lol. To me personally, their morphology resembles the Siderestrea that sometimes comes in on Florida Gulf Rock, but different colors.