LF Small chunks of live rock to seed my dry rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg1987

Aptasia
I'm located in lake charles but am willing to drive around 3 hours and will pay. I realize there is no guarantee for not having Flatworms or aptaisia or anything else like that. But I am willing to pay top dollar for 10lbs or so of pest free, nice and dark, purple, mature live rock. My tank is about 3 months old but is very sterile and i'm looking to introduce some life and coraline spores into the tank by seeding it with live rock.

Matthew futch

Marine Betta
You’re brave Greg. In this hobby sterile can be good. Anything beneficial that would be on the live rock you can buy to seed your tank with and skip the pest that have caused people to completely tear there systems down. Oh and before you know it coraline algae will cover everything and you’ll be complaining as you’re trying to scrape it off.

Matt

Greg1987

Aptasia
Do you know where I can buy the stuff to seed my tank with? I've been searching but I always end up with threads about seeding with LR. Do you mean like the stuff that Indo Pacific Sea farms sells?

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I have some that has been quarantined. It is guaranteed to be 100% free of aiptasia and other such pests. It has been without fish for 2 1/2 months plus. You will get copepods, amphipods, bristle worms, filter feeding worms, clear tubular sponges, and pineapple sponges. Thankfully the rock does not have any of those aggrivating verminted snails. It also has some greenish brown and purple coraline algae. How many pounds do you want? I have a hanging scale that I could use to measure the weight. I can let it drip for about 3-4 minutes before weighing. By the way, coralline algae can be aggravating but I will die loving the stuff.

Last edited:

Greg1987

Aptasia
I am heading back into the refinery. I will PM you when I get out. Is that Ok? I was thinking about maybe 10lbs. It's just to seed about 40lbs of dry rock that is already in the system. The tank is about 3 months old right now. I have a cad lights 45g shallow.

CenlaReefer

Table Acropora
LARC Supporter
I am heading back into the refinery. I will PM you when I get out. Is that Ok? I was thinking about maybe 10lbs. It's just to seed about 40lbs of dry rock that is already in the system. The tank is about 3 months old right now. I have a cad lights 45g shallow.
Sure. Please do send me a PM. Welcome to LARC!

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I would start a brand new tank with all Live rock straight from the ocean in a heart beat !
No hesitation or regret due to the fact you can not simply get all the micro life that comes direct from the ocean.
With enough experience you can prep and cure the rock eliminating the things you do not want in your tank while keeping all the goodies that come along with the actual live rock.
Problem is getting actual live rock that is actually still live and not half dead or has been sitting in a store tank for a few months and called live rock but never really came from the Ocean live.
Most are using dead rock or man made rock since importation of living reef rock is harder to get these days and expensive along with the fact that many folks are all of the new Ideology that live rock is bad.
Zero nutrients and must run GFO come to mind here for any Old Salts ?? :p;)
Seriously though I'm just an Old nut case with too may opinions , dont mind me any.

Greg1987

Aptasia
I would start a brand new tank with all Live rock straight from the ocean in a heart beat !
No hesitation or regret due to the fact you can not simply get all the micro life that comes direct from the ocean.
With enough experience you can prep and cure the rock eliminating the things you do not want in your tank while keeping all the goodies that come along with the actual live rock.
Problem is getting actual live rock that is actually still live and not half dead or has been sitting in a store tank for a few months and called live rock but never really came from the Ocean live.
Most are using dead rock or man made rock since importation of living reef rock is harder to get these days and expensive along with the fact that many folks are all of the new Ideology that live rock is bad.
Zero nutrients and must run GFO come to mind here for any Old Salts ?? :p;)
Seriously though I'm just an Old nut case with too may opinions , dont mind me any.

Yeah I really wanted to go with TBS "the package" but to do my tank the way they suggested would have been like 700 bucks and I'd have to deal with getting it shipped to my local airport and dealing with all that mess. It just sounded super stressful. Maybe I was just being lazy and talked myself out of it? But I plan on trying to make this tank the best I possibly can and learn as much as I can on the 45g so when I do my next tank in a couple years (90 cube) and go all out on everything. I can be well versed in the hobby. The 90 cube will be done using TBS "the package" for sure. If they are still around of course.