new aquarium setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdsrocket

Peppermint Shrimp
I'm looking for recommendations on help with a new aquarium setup. I have had my current 55 gallon setup but looking for something larger and all in one. What I really want thoughts on are which local shop people would recommend for complete setup. I had a setup done be ricks reef (the best) and by aquatic specialties. not sure if anyone has had coral connection, coral fever, aqua hut setup tanks for them. just querying for opinions.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
@Coral Connection makes nice stands & canopies if you are looking to build a system from scratch.

You could also look for a used setup on here, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Agree, Coral Connections for something custom like you are thinking. Was not a fan of Rick's. I am a fan of Aquatic Specialties, but they do not do custom builds and their store is pretty much around how they setup tanks they maintain.

Also, being in Luling, you could try Coral Fever, which is closer to you than it is to most of us. I know the shop took damage and did re-open from the storm, but I don't know if Seth does AIO custom work like you are looking for.

What tank size you have in mind? Something larger than a 55 gives a pretty wide range of possibilities :D. For an AIO larger than 55gal in show space, I would think you need to be minimum 24" front to back just to fit the equipment and still have an equivalent 55 in the front, something like a 120g. That is a lot of space in the back, but would give you a 10"x44" sump and could include a built in ATO reservoir and even built in 2-part or 3-part dosing system if planned right. You would need to use space-saver style skimmers.

Another option would be to go to a 5-ft or even 6-ft length tank, and then partition of one end instead of the back, making more of a peninsula style tank. The sump area would be more square shaped and would better handle larger skimmers, but ATO and chemicals would be underneath.

Just a couple of ideas...

Last edited:

Coral Connection

Black Perc
LARC Supporting Vendor
POTM Winner
I'm looking for recommendations on help with a new aquarium setup. I have had my current 55 gallon setup but looking for something larger and all in one. What I really want thoughts on are which local shop people would recommend for complete setup. I had a setup done be ricks reef (the best) and by aquatic specialties. not sure if anyone has had coral connection, coral fever, aqua hut setup tanks for them. just querying for opinions.
Feel free to give George a call (504)467-4566.

Rdsrocket

Peppermint Shrimp
the more research I do I agree I'd rather have a custom built than an AIO. I'm looking at 125 gallon. I had a good bit of damage from IDA so my wall behind my tank has to be redone anyways. I'm actually working with my contractor to see if I can have the sump on the other side of the wall (bathroom) and have tank plumbed accordingly. I'm not looking to put any coral in the tank just my RBTA's and ultra rock flowers along with fish. Thanks for all the input. I will call the stores mentioned above.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
In reading this thread I was reminded of an old build on here from years ago. This was a DIY AIO that came out really nice. Sounds like you are looking for someone to do a setup for you, but this might give you some ideas on a large AIO if you decide to have someone build it for you. If not, it is still an interesting thread to browse.

Link to build thread - > maison de l'eau build

Last edited: