New SPS maker - 120G SPS Dominant, and wrasses

Users who are viewing this thread

sfg

Harlequin Tusk
LARC Supporter
So I FINALLY made the move to a bigger tank. I was working with my 45G Shallow for a good minute and it treated me well. It has moved on over to the North Shore to hopefully treat it's new owner with the same results.

Picked up this 120 secondhand with an internal overflow. Within a day of having it the overflow came out since I wanted to use up as much real estate as I can.

Next thing was to take the stand and cleans things up a little.

Before

Trim and doors removed

First attempt at an idea that went wrong with the help of a trim router that ran off and destroyed two of the panels in one quick slip... :(

The final design. My pops was nice enough to let me raid his stockpile of reclaimed cypress (again). The lumber came out of some old fire doors that were in a warehouse they demolished years ago on Tchoupitoulas St in New Orleans.

Unfinished side

Finished

In the house finally

Instead of sealing off the holes where the internal overflow went I decided to go with a closed loop. Since the tank will require high flow, why not. I also purchased a 1/2" piece of HPDE to lay on the bottom to protect the glass.

On the stand

Next was the canopy. I decided with this build I would go with Halides, T5's and LEDs. lol, figured I couldn't go wrong, outside of frying my sticks. 2x 250w Radiums, 2x ReefBrite Supra Dual 48" T5s (Blue+/Coral+ in each fixture), 48" ReefBrite XHO, AI Prime HD for dusk/dawn viewing (all other lights are too bright when home in the afternoon = mega light spill).

Suspended from the ceiling with 100# rated cables. Anchored in the attic (not from the sheetrock).

Plumbing: First time doing a tank this size. I have to admit, I rushed it. Things came out crooked due to me not dry fitting everything first. Came out ok but I REALLY want to take it all down and redo it but it will have to do for now.

Using a SICCE SDC 9 DC pump for the closed loop that I picked up used, has different modes like the Vectra's which is nice, WIFI controlled as well. Octo Varios 6 for the return, and Tunze 6105 for the inside. Originally was going to go with MP40's but the look of them on the tank killed it for me. Still not 100% decided on which pair I will use until the tank starts to see some sticks but for now I am leaning towards the Tunzes.

Next was the scape. I used E-Marco-400 mortar to make this all happen. While slowly puting things together it never dawned on me that I was going to have to pick this up and put it in the tank verses building it IN the tank. That was a tense moment when the move happened. All kinds of things could have gone wrong, but in the end, all was good.

and the final scape

In the tank and filling her up

And how she pretty much stands today, almost 2 months wet now.

I'll post updates as times goes on. Anxious to get some SPS in there.

-Will

Last edited:

sfg

Harlequin Tusk
LARC Supporter
That my friend, is a nice setup. Bravo ':clap:'
Looking forward to the stick pics, lol.
Following for sure.

Thanks homie! Long time no talk!

Dang Will that system is super nice and that stand has a really clean look. Once the sticks are in place and happy that scape is gonna be sick!

Appreciate it man!

Super nice build and that's some awesome rock work!

Thanks ! :)

Beautiful tank. Love the aquascape. It is one of the absolute best I have ever seen!

Thanks a bunch! Scape was a PITB, but i'm looking forward to the end results when the sticks take over.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Will, Everything about this build makes me sick in a good way if that makes sense.
Super elegant, just clean and sexy looking from top to bottom man Great Job !
Looking forward to this tank maturing for sure.
Thank you for taking the time to post up some pictures sharing with everyone here, Your work on this system including the plumbing and rock work is nothing shy of spectacular.
You make your Asian ancestors very proud -cheers2-

sfg

Harlequin Tusk
LARC Supporter
Will, Everything about this build makes me sick in a good way if that makes sense.
Super elegant, just clean and sexy looking from top to bottom man Great Job !
Looking forward to this tank maturing for sure.
Thank you for taking the time to post up some pictures sharing with everyone here, Your work on this system including the plumbing and rock work is nothing shy of spectacular.
You make your Asian ancestors very proud -cheers2-

Lol, thanks brother. Couldn’t have done it without the help of this Caucasian dude I know from across the lake

Stoned

Postasaurus Rex
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
Awesome build. Love the rock stack. Did you seal the mat to the bottom. I've read that people that put down the star board still have detritus build up under the star board. Figures I'd mention it before you get too far.

sfg

Harlequin Tusk
LARC Supporter
Wow, rock structure is awesome, tank sleek and stand/sump design makes me embarrassed to call myself a reefer!

Great job Will.

Thanks Homie!

Awesome build. Love the rock stack. Did you seal the mat to the bottom. I've read that people that put down the star board still have detritus build up under the star board. Figures I'd mention it before you get too far.

I did seal it with silicone. Silicone doesn't exactly bond to HPDE like it would to glass, but I created enough of a seal to where I think things will be fine. Im able to look under the mat and see where water hasn't been able to seep in so I should be good to go. :) Thanks Joe!

This man is the bomb! He can repurpose anything! Well done and beautiful work bud.
Thanks Seth! Appreciate all the help with things throughout this build!

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
DUDE!!!!

The words that come to my mind to describe how slick this is would be quickly filtered out by @minhvu. And a throw back to MH :cool: The way you laid out inside the stand is impressive. Can't wait to see this stocked.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Lol, thanks brother. Couldn’t have done it without the help of this Caucasian dude I know from across the lake

Small part man, glad to have been able to help you out in any way I could have.
shoot on the work end I would have been a helping hand or just drinking beer watching you work just to try and learn me something :D