Newbie question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy Stutes

Peppermint Shrimp
E086A05E-A35C-4130-BA14-B5B96006BA91.jpeg

What is the purplish reddish spot that is on my rock and what kind of crab is this tiny guy?
6234F385-3865-4CCE-ABF7-885F5412C4ED.jpeg
295D69CD-14A3-466A-BB39-5D402897AF19.jpeg

Lazyfish

Marine Betta
Kinda hard for me to tell from the pics that dosnt look like a ruby crab so I'm guessing it's a pest. The purple could be coraline possibly also a bit hard to tell

Nightfire

CrossHatch Trigger
How old is the rock or did you buy it like that, if it's live rock as is then it's probably scoreline and that could be a bad hitchhiker, but hard to tell.

Jeremy Stutes

Peppermint Shrimp
So if this is cyano and it is only on this rock would pulling this rock out be my best bet? Also the crabs eyes do look to be grey

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Xanthid Cymo
Commonly called gorilla crabs in the hobby, you will want to remove these. As far as I know, they are only a threat to your cleanup crew and possibly smaller fish. They are very common on Florida/Gulf rock. They are also known as hairy crabs, although that actually can be a reference to several crabs.

I would not worry about the cyanno. This is a product of using natural rock and will work itself out as the system matures. Just siphon the cyanno snot out so it does not smother the rock and create hypoxic areas. Increasing water flow in the tank will help greatly. Hair algae will eventually take hold and start to compete with cyanno.

I love the amount of starfish you have with the rock. I ordered 80 pounds right before Covid and it ended up shipping in a heatwave and all the starfish were dead. I was pretty disappointed in that.

Jeremy Stutes

Peppermint Shrimp
I have hundreds of those starfish in my tank. It is very cool to come in and check the tank out at night. Thanks for the heads up on the crab. If I can catch that tiny little crab should I kill him or sump him?

The GOB

White Tip Reef Shark
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Cymo sp will live in a variety of SPS if you have any large colonies. IMO, Cymo sp aren't large enough to cause any mischief like other Xanthids.

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
Possible aiptasia in the 1st pic to the left of your kenya tree but hard to tell. If those vermetid snails are live, you will come to hate them when you do maintenance in the tank. Little suckers can cut you.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Little suckers can cut you.

Yea, they get nasty. My hawkfish made good work of them though. I would break the glass housing with my thumb (or back of hand if not careful) and the hawkfish would finish the job. No more lol.

Not seeing aptasia, but picture is blurry. If there is, jump on that now. Lemon Juice in an insulin syringe will manage it nicely.

Jeremy Stutes

Peppermint Shrimp
My hawkfish is to busy trying to be the tank boss. I have used aiptasia x with good results but now I’m seeing aiptasia pop up in other areas. Will definitely try the lemon juice for sure