Ph

Users who are viewing this thread

BumpaBaaby

Neon Goby
I know some folks do all kinds of things to get this number, but I want to elevate it a little more. 8.3-8.4.
Question: you think if I introduce fresh air to my skimmer I can raise it?

Attachments

• 5BDE1BDE-A3E9-43D1-AB82-530AF365C0F7.jpeg
    5BDE1BDE-A3E9-43D1-AB82-530AF365C0F7.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 15

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
With the weather cooling off and about to get where we can open our houses up during the day, This makes a great time to check your question live using your apex to graph for you.
Off on a weekend, Open up the house while the weather is good. Check your reading before during a 6 hour period and afterward.

I am betting you will see the increase you are wanting.
This was the perfect thing for my tank in my old house was cooler weather affording higher PH and better coral growth.
Summer time was a slump due to house being closed up and having 5 people / 2 dogs inside.

For a fresh air intake to your skimmer just be careful to where you place the inlet outside your home and think about using a charcoal canister to filter the air reducing contaminants

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I was thinking about installing a fresh air intake with a damper.

Best thing you can do living in New Orleans is get yourself one of these guys:

Split the intake between a fresh air damper and your AC intake. The exhaust it to the AC plenum. Tie the fan terminals on the HVAC and dehumidifier as per instructions. If you already have bath vents that exhaust outside the home, you don't need to do anything else. Put the humidistat on your highest floor in the home, or in the middle of your home if you are single story.

You want these to run continuous as much as possible, so bigger is not better.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
For a fresh air intake to your skimmer just be careful to where you place the inlet outside your home and think about using a charcoal canister to filter the air reducing contaminants
+1 Especially if you live in an area where the bug spray truck passes down your street in the summertime...

03-0583-mosquito1jpg-5e6d3af359f04d85.jpg

BumpaBaaby

Neon Goby
Best thing you can do living in New Orleans is get yourself one of these guys:

Split the intake between a fresh air damper and your AC intake. The exhaust it to the AC plenum. Tie the fan terminals on the HVAC and dehumidifier as per instructions. If you already have bath vents that exhaust outside the home, you don't need to do anything else. Put the humidistat on your highest floor in the home, or in the middle of your home if you are single story.

You want these to run continuous as much as possible, so bigger is not better.
Yeah I thought about that also. The dehumidifier I have now is a commercial one and it’s constantly running

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I NEVER get those fumigation trucks near where I live. When it is very humid or even foggy, we do have some strange, bad smells coming from a wood treatment plant nearby. I wonder how toxic that is. This is my only hesitation to doing something like @clsanchez77 recommended. Is there a way to have the system stop pulling air in when the humidity is 90 -100%. I guess pulling-in extremely cold or hot air is another of my concerns. @BumpaBaaby, is the best way to just go the manual route of opening and closing it yourself?

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
his is my only hesitation to doing something like @clsanchez77 recommend. Is there a way to have the system stop pulling air in when the humidity is 90 -100%. I guess pulling-in extremely cold or hot air is another of my concerns. @BumpaBaaby, is the best way to just go the manual route of opening and closing it yourself?

Yes, there are controls on these systems, everything is $$$ of course. I actually don't have one, but plan to put one in when I replace the AC.

Cigmin

CrossHatch Trigger
Just to share I have a nyos 120 and due to how efficient it is fresh air added no value. Now my vertex 180 with fresh air gives me .3 increase

Before u drill how might just want to run tub from skimmer to outside to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk