Pico reef tank cookie jar

Users who are viewing this thread

College_Coral

Peppermint Shrimp
Hi my name is Dennis and im relatively new to this website and wanted to show off and talk about my tank. I built this tank in april 2022 and its been thriving ever since. It's a 3 gallon cookie jar ive modified to support corals. I would like to know everyones thoughts and questions and look forward to talking to fellow reefers.
20220812_163410.jpg

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Looks impressive. Tank was setup in April, so only a few months old. A small, young tank like this will require careful observation, but equally a discipline to not over-react as tanks need stability more than anything else.

Do share the details with us. What mobile inverts do you have in there? I can spot a few, which will be more than adequate. What are you using for water circulation? Is it only the air stone? Also, what is your LED light? I purchased a small reef LED puck to experiment with but have not had the time to put into it. I am also curious if you are feeding this tank. Nutrient balance would be very difficult in such a small tank, but even corals can benefit from a small input. Unfortunately, there is no way to establish an output. But if you do have a cleanup crew in there, they will need to be fed in the absence of fish/fish food. It does not take much.

CenlaReefer

Toadstool Leather Coral
LARC Supporter
Welcome to LARC! We are so glad to have you on our forum!

I love the nano reef tank you have going! I was curious if you keep the lid on it to cut back on evaporation. Since you do not have a fish, I was wondering if it was OK to do that. I do think a lack of gas exchange could be a problem for pH.

What CUC do you have in there?

Last edited:

College_Coral

Peppermint Shrimp
Looks impressive. Tank was setup in April, so only a few months old. A small, young tank like this will require careful observation, but equally a discipline to not over-react as tanks need stability more than anything else.

Do share the details with us. What mobile inverts do you have in there? I can spot a few, which will be more than adequate. What are you using for water circulation? Is it only the air stone? Also, what is your LED light? I purchased a small reef LED puck to experiment with but have not had the time to put into it. I am also curious if you are feeding this tank. Nutrient balance would be very difficult in such a small tank, but even corals can benefit from a small input. Unfortunately, there is no way to establish an output. But if you do have a cleanup crew in there, they will need to be fed in the absence of fish/fish food. It does not take much.
Hi i have 2 nassarius snails and two cerith snails as cleanup crew and my light is a 12w tuna blue led, i do feed the tank but very sparingly just enough to keep cuc alive and the only circulation im using is an airstone as i do not plan to add corals that require high flow, i feed corals a small amount of diluted coral feast with no flow for 30 mins before a 90% water change that i do weekly, so far everything I've put in the tank has been growing and thriving, i set this tank up to be able to have something portable as i am a college student and move 2 times a year, i use a battery pack to keep temp and flow going during the move and its worked flawlessly 2 times now. I also think I've settled on getting a cleaner shrimp as the star fauna of the tank so wish me luck!

College_Coral

Peppermint Shrimp
Welcome to LARC! We are so glad to have you on our forum!

I love the nano reef tank you have going! I was curious if you keep the lid on it to cut back on evaporation. Since you do not have a fish, I was wondering if it was OK to do that. I do think a lack of gas exchange could be a problem for pH.

What CUC do you have in there?
I do keep the lid on as it makes evaporation more manageable, however due to the shape of the lid with the air pump i had to use silicon to make a path for equipment which still allows air flow from the tank as my ph sits around 7.9. And lastly my cleanup crew is 2 cerith and two nassarius, and possibly a cleaner shrimp in the future.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I also think I've settled on getting a cleaner shrimp as the star fauna of the tank so wish me luck!
That would be awesome, but you will want to add some live microfauna if you go this route. If the shrimp starts to starve, then snails and coral guts become fair game. I love the idea, not saying don't. My vote is go for it as I love shrimp, but in a really small tank, the food cycle is too small.

There are some really cool freshwater setups similar to this, but the shrimp is usually feasting after a beta fish, which is feeding off the roots of some sort of plant, which is growing from the nitrogen excreted by the fish and shrimp. This is much harder to pull off with saltwater, but looks like you have a really great start.

seth&angelle

Coral Fever LLC
LARC Supporting Vendor
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
That Scolymia in your avatar is SICK!!!

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Coral Banded might get a little big in there. My favorite shrimp by the way, so nothing against the shrimp. They can get quite aggressive when hungry. While they don't have a reputation for attacking corals, another member here is *maybe* having a problem with that. Great thing is they are not picky at all and will eat anything that smells bad.

College_Coral

Peppermint Shrimp
Coral Banded might get a little big in there. My favorite shrimp by the way, so nothing against the shrimp. They can get quite aggressive when hungry. While they don't have a reputation for attacking corals, another member here is *maybe* having a problem with that. Great thing is they are not picky at all and will eat anything that smells bad.
I've been feeding it pellets and the occasional ground coral feast, I've been trying to keep it full so it doesn't nibble anything anymore.