Rabbit fish on killing spree?

Users who are viewing this thread

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
Recently started stocking my 600g and a big 7-8” Orange spotted rabbit was one of the first fish I added. I’ve been loosing fish slowly when they’ve seemed fine then all of a sudden they disappear. Yesterday I noticed my small fowleri tang swimming at the surface like a clown fish and breathing kinda heavy. I was just hoping it was sleeping or just acting funny like they sometimes do. He will sometimes swim upside down in the corners. Today I found him dead on the sand bed with 4 evenly spaced lines on his side. Wondering if that’s an imprint from the rabbit fish spines. . That’s the 3rd fairly expensive fish I’ve lost, first my small clown trigger disappeared then a baby sohal tang. Think I may be re homing a rabbit fish. Every thing started fine but lately I’ve noticed him getting aggressive towards my big 8-9” naso tang usually when they are eating off the seaweed clip. He turns dark black and white and throws his spines up and kinda angled his back towards him.

Attachments

• 79CD8DCF-064E-4976-B337-4226DB813D81.jpeg
    79CD8DCF-064E-4976-B337-4226DB813D81.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 38
  • 14F2F05A-D12B-43C8-A2F1-40C81883D462.jpeg
    14F2F05A-D12B-43C8-A2F1-40C81883D462.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 36
  • BF7CFBAF-6D9F-49B4-8DDB-4A243B0DC4AE.jpeg
    BF7CFBAF-6D9F-49B4-8DDB-4A243B0DC4AE.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 6D7334A6-7AD4-4F62-B49A-F56E6DD1D35E.jpeg
    6D7334A6-7AD4-4F62-B49A-F56E6DD1D35E.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 32

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Could be and more than likely is a outbreak of parasite that is overcoming your fish once infected.

I've got a foxface that is very proud of his spines, displays them all the time and flickers them to all the tank mates as if they enjoy the show.
Have multiple other tangs in the tank smaller and same size as the fox face, grazing can get a bit crowded and some tension between them but the fox face seems to know he is not to be messed with and so do my other fish.
Once color changes happen the other fish usually take note and leave him alone no matter if from feeding aggressive behavior, night time in the tank OR just me poking around making the fox face a bit nervous. For some reason this fish still has not taken to me being in the tank at any capacity.

CenlaReefer

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
LARC Supporter
I am so sorry to hear the trouble. For future reference, is there a way to post close-up pics of the dead fish including pics inside the gills to help ID if there was a parasite involved? Would a microscope be necessary? If yes, what is the recommended magnification?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I am so sorry to hear the trouble. For future reference, is there a way to post close-up pics of the dead fish including pics inside the gills to help ID if there was a parasite involved? Would a microscope be necessary? If yes, what is the recommended magnification?

More resources:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Could be and more than likely is a outbreak of parasite that is overcoming your fish once infected.
+1

More resources:

A wealth of information here. I suspect you have something else in the tank killing the fish. The fish on their own are probably healthy enough to not succumb....until an encounter and wound from the rabbitfish, or perhaps some other trigger.

Yesterday I noticed my small fowleri tang swimming at the surface like a clown fish and breathing kinda heavy.

If you witness this again with any of you other fish, try to catch them and perform a freshwater dip. This is a good indication of an infection or infestation in the gills.

Today I found him dead on the sand bed with 4 evenly spaced lines on his side. Wondering if that’s an imprint from the rabbit fish spines.
Not what that would look like. @The GOB described it better. You would be looking for a puncture, that should be swollen if it were fatal.

I would take some time and be very observant at your next feeding. Also try to note if any of your fish swim aggressively at power heads or pump discharges like they are desperate for fresh water.