HELP Raising baby trochus to adulthood

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I must have 100-120 baby trochus of various sizes in my sunroom system which includes 2 display tanks and one 40 breeder sump. I hope to post some pics of the early morning snail clusters later this week. Does anyone know any techniques to help them grow to adulthood? I find the vast majority do not make it. I have been doing more regular water changes to help keep my water quality good. I only dose kalkwasswer at night and Mg occasionally as needed. The only predator is one emerald crab if it is still alive. I have not seen it in a while.

6lilfish

Ko-Ko Worm
I would think they need lots of food to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I would offer up nori sheets tied to a rock near the glass or areas they like to gather.
Another way to go is to not clean the glass so they have plenty to much on.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I sort of did this not out of a plan but out of laziness. The film algae on the glass seems to be an excellent food for them. I'm keeping the glass dirty for the back and sides of both display tanks in the sunroom.

These are some pics from last night using a flash
light. There are many more than these.

20220924_235045.jpg
20220924_235026.jpg

The GOB

Blue Ring Octopus
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Those sure look like Limpets. Baby Trochus in mine are circle shaped without the distinctive apex.

ETA--- juveniles in mine are Astreas

Last edited:

6lilfish

Ko-Ko Worm
Those sure look like Limpets. Baby Trochus in mine are circle shaped without the distinctive apex.

ETA--- juveniles in mine are Astreas

I’ve had these before I thought they were astreas but I never knew and they never grew good I would end up with them in socks and sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Someone told me these could be colinosta snails. I am both surprised and disappointed. If they were trochus, they would have those side tenticles all around. Here are the best close-up pics I could get with my Samsung phone:

20220926_160727.jpg

20220926_155558.jpg

I am 100% sure this one below was captive-bred in my system. It is a bit larger than a pencil eraser. I put the razor up to the glass to give you all the size scale. I have grown others to adulthood yet this has been rare. I have not purchased trochus snails for over 5 years I guess. I still wonder what I can do to get more trochus babies to get this size and larger. I am sure that not using filter socks would help. I have found some in the socks before.
20220926_154243.jpg