Rebuilding Pirate's Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
The livestock is ridiculous. I saw a Yellow Tang online yesterday and they wanted $349.00 for it. I know they stopped collecting in Hawaii, but if that is the cost of fish nowadays, whatever I do get will have a lot of room to swim by itself in a 125. LOL!

You cannot legally collect them live, but you can spear as many as you want SMH

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Update: Still adding mostly softies. It is amazing to me the size of frags nowadays. I remember LFS giving me small pieces of corals that came off of larger colonies in their tanks for free that were close to this in size. I guess that is one of the downsides of being a dinosaur reefer. Remembering what we used to pay for livestock.

Anyway, there are 20 frags in here and another dozen on the way for this week. I also had some Bryopsis start up in the tank that may have been dormant on the rock. The Reef Flux knocked that out over a couple of weeks. I then added a cleanup crew for a 50 gallon tank from Reef Cleaners. They are doing a good job of cleaning all of the algae and crud off of the old rock. Pics not the best from my old iPhone 7. Only half the lights on. May add one here this afternoon after the other two lamps come on. Long way to go.
49361CDC-2CBC-4019-8AEF-585FD77C5A7C.jpeg

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Update: Still adding mostly softies. It is amazing to me the size of frags nowadays. I remember LFS giving me small pieces of corals that came off of larger colonies in their tanks for free that were close to this in size. I guess that is one of the downsides of being a dinosaur reefer. Remembering what we used to pay for livestock.

Anyway, there are 20 frags in here and another dozen on the way for this week. I also had some Bryopsis start up in the tank that may have been dormant on the rock. The Reef Flux knocked that out over a couple of weeks. I then added a cleanup crew for a 50 gallon tank from Reef Cleaners. They are doing a good job of cleaning all of the algae and crud off of the old rock. Pics not the best from my old iPhone 7. Only half the lights on. May add one here this afternoon after the other two lamps come on. Long way to go.
View attachment 22894

Looking good thus far and you are gathering quite a collection for the large tank.
Your not alone in missing the days of past when this hobby was more a hobby and not some exploited overpriced designer name game cash cow.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Looking good thus far and you are gathering quite a collection for the large tank.
Your not alone in missing the days of past when this hobby was more a hobby and not some exploited overpriced designer name game cash cow.
Yeah, colonies for the same price as (tiny) frags nowadays. The commercial names of corals has gotten way out of hand. Many different names out there for the exact same coral. At least it would be nice to have standard names for most of that stuff.

Kirk_M

Chevron Tang
LARC Supporter
Yeah, colonies for the same price as (tiny) frags nowadays. The commercial names of corals has gotten way out of hand. Many different names out there for the exact same coral. At least it would be nice to have standard names for most of that stuff.

The good old days...not to mention when hobbyists weren't trying to sell their frags for as much as retail stores were. If you wanted a frag of a particular acro, a club member would often have it for half the price of retail. No longer.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
The good old days...not to mention when hobbyists weren't trying to sell their frags for as much as retail stores were. If you wanted a frag of a particular acro, a club member would often have it for half the price of retail. No longer.
Hey Kirk. How have you been doing? Yeah, it's nothing like the good old days now. I have given away frags in the past to help out a fellow reefer in need of getting a tank up and going. Probably will again once I have something to cut up. That may be a while. :)

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I got some frags in on Tuesday from www.TerraReef.com. I happened to here Mark Levenson mention that he got some corals in from them, so I gave them a try. The stuff listed as “frags” came to me as “small colonies” and was in very good condition. Just thought I would put there name out there if someone is looking for a source. Not a great deal of selection but I was happy with what I got for a reasonable price. A few of the corals I got … The red mushroom is what I ordered and it came with several of those, plus a number of dark purple with green dots on the same rock. Most places I see mushrooms the price is per mushroom.

1CB2A37E-7754-4187-89AA-E7725495A2CC.jpeg
83F7E6E5-F0FE-4738-A2D6-E14AD6E97640.jpeg
B2DC2DF8-DDDD-49AA-818B-85D465A09755.jpeg
E45B8405-AFE2-4AEA-8405-37C6E584CC02.jpeg

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Looking good, Gary! 'GreenwEnvy'
Thanks! I haven't lost anything yet. I did have an order that got delayed 24 hours and the water temp was 52 degrees when I opened the box. There were a couple of hardy SPS frags in there and one of them has browned out and had STN. I dipped it in Coral RX and got polyp extension on it again and the STN seems to have stopped, so hopefully I will continue to have survivors.

For others looking in, remember that this is only 7 gallons of water in the display, but I have about 15 more in the sump. I need to put a fish or two in there because my nitrate has steadily declined down to "0" on the Hanna HR test. My refugium has chaeto and the 25mm Siporax. I don't want to order anything else until after the first of the year now.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Thanks! I haven't lost anything yet. I did have an order that got delayed 24 hours and the water temp was 52 degrees when I opened the box. There were a couple of hardy SPS frags in there and one of them has browned out and had STN. I dipped it in Coral RX and got polyp extension on it again and the STN seems to have stopped, so hopefully I will continue to have survivors.

For others looking in, remember that this is only 7 gallons of water in the display, but I have about 15 more in the sump. I need to put a fish or two in there because my nitrate has steadily declined down to "0" on the Hanna HR test. My refugium has chaeto and the 25mm Siporax. I don't want to order anything else until after the first of the year now.

If you want I can send you some Lab grade Sodium Nitrate to mix in RODI water so you can dose the tank if needed.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
If you want I can send you some Lab grade Sodium Nitrate to mix in RODI water so you can dose the tank if needed.
I just ordered some Brightwell NeoNitro supplement from BRS. It should be here in a few days. Thanks though. That's a problem I never had before. Ha! My only local source of fish is PetCo. I did buy a couple of corals from them at the beginning of this version of the tank and they are doing fine. The fish look pretty sketchy though. Must be nice to have a LFS in town. It has been a long time since Lake Charles had a store. We used to have several nice ones back in the 80s.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I just ordered some Brightwell NeoNitro supplement from BRS. It should be here in a few days. Thanks though. That's a problem I never had before. Ha! My only local source of fish is PetCo. I did buy a couple of corals from them at the beginning of this version of the tank and they are doing fine. The fish look pretty sketchy though. Must be nice to have a LFS in town. It has been a long time since Lake Charles had a store. We used to have several nice ones back in the 80s.

I ordered my supplies from a lab supply company online that way I was sure what the product was rather than use the stump killer from home depot.
Heard good things about the brighwell products from folks who use them.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I ordered my supplies from a lab supply company online that way I was sure what the product was rather than use the stump killer from home depot.
Heard good things about the brighwell products from folks who use them.
If I run into the same issue with the 125, I may want to get your source. I plan to have a rather large reactor full of Siporax and a refugium on the system and I believe that is what is sucking down the nitrates on the nano. Of course, there are no fish in it either. :) I did start out with a reading at about 47 about six weeks ago, now it is zero (on the Hanna HR colorimeter).

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
If I run into the same issue with the 125, I may want to get your source. I plan to have a rather large reactor full of Siporax and a refugium on the system and I believe that is what is sucking down the nitrates on the nano. Of course, there are no fish in it either. :) I did start out with a reading at about 47 about six weeks ago, now it is zero (on the Hanna HR colorimeter).

Indeed, I ordered two bottles of the crystals due to having a large system and found out really quick I have a lifetime supply with left overs LOL.
Really inexpensive for a pure product when it does not have aquarium use

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Indeed, I ordered two bottles of the crystals due to having a large system and found out really quick I have a lifetime supply with left overs LOL.
Really inexpensive for a pure product when it does not have aquarium use
Ha! As soon as they recognize that there are people that will pay inflated prices for aquarium stuff, I think the price may go up. :)

Kirk_M

Chevron Tang
LARC Supporter
Hey Kirk. How have you been doing? Yeah, it's nothing like the good old days now. I have given away frags in the past to help out a fellow reefer in need of getting a tank up and going. Probably will again once I have something to cut up. That may be a while. :)

Doing OK, tank is doing great despite minimal intervention from me other than maintaining the calcium reactor and the topoff water reservoir.

There are a lot of familiar looking corals there in that little tank :)

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Doing OK, tank is doing great despite minimal intervention from me other than maintaining the calcium reactor and the topoff water reservoir.

There are a lot of familiar looking corals there in that little tank :)
Glad the tank is doing well. I am struggling to get everything back together. I was guessing that I would have more time when I retired and could get all of this up and running again. Apparently, time was not the issue. :)

I am not sure what is familiar in the nano. Some of them I have had before, but I am trying to sort of emulate a softy tank that is popular on R2R. Well, it was until he tore it down. :-( I do have his list of corals and I know some of his sources, so we will see. I know I will get some SPS too and LPS ... and maybe a clam. So, I guess I am saying that it will be another mixed reef. :)