Rebuilding Pirate's Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Silly question but is the SQUD on this system?
No, not this time around. It was on the original version of this tank. I actually plumbed in an OceansMotions Compact that I bought off of someone on R2R. It worked fine for a while, but the magnets on the inner drum corroded and pushed through the top laminate on the drum, so I took out the drum. It is now functioning as a 4-way fitting. I did spend some time visiting via email with Paul Hayden, the owner of OceansMotions in Canada yesterday. The Compact has been out of production for years now and he is no longer set up to supply parts for them. We were trying to come up with an idea for me to rebuild the drum myself. I ordered some magnets yesterday and will give it a shot. It really is a pretty neat little device, I guess there just wasn't enough interest for him to continue to build them. He does still build the full-size 4-way and 6-way valves though. That was probably way more information than you were looking for, so sorry for rambling on. :)

This is how the SCWD was plumbed into the original system. I know, crazy, right? :rolleyes: I actually threw it away when I tore the tank down the first time.

Back_plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I got these neat 3-D printed trays today from Granite State Aquatics. They are a neat way to keep the test kits organized and handy. He also prints those white screw-on funnels that you can see screwed onto the base. They screw onto the top of the cuvettes and they make it much easier to dump the powdered reagents out of the pouches without spilling. All very reasonably priced.
46CE0D71-49D3-4CDC-BAAD-1F6CB5F60E94.jpeg

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Those look awesome and pretty neat idea with the screw on funnel.
Yeah, and they help a lot with the kits that use powdered reagents. The funnels were like $4, so it was well worth it to me. The trays were also inexpensive, ranging from $10 - $12 to $14 for the Calcium, I believe (without looking at the invoice). The trays with the wells for the liquid reagents also help to keep from knocking them over and spilling the fluid if you leave the bottle in the tray. I really like it all. I wish I wasn't so old and out of touch with new tech, because I think having a 3-D printer and the ability to design whatever you need would be very helpful.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I loved those things back in the day until my tank got so mature that the snails were all having too many romantic evenings and the SQWD's on my system started to get jammed from all the pin dot and larger baby snails
My sump had several blue foam blocks that I would use to protect my return pump from getting jammed LOL.
Got really good at quickly taking the sqwd apart to clean it and get it back in service.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I loved those things back in the day until my tank got so mature that the snails were all having too many romantic evenings and the SQWD's on my system started to get jammed from all the pin dot and larger baby snails
My sump had several blue foam blocks that I would use to protect my return pump from getting jammed LOL.
Got really good at quickly taking the sqwd apart to clean it and get it back in service.
Well, they didn’t come apart when I had them. I did cut the top off of mine and installed a screw in PVC plug clean out. I will have to dig those pics out. I guess I am really old. :)

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Had the same ones and would dissolve the little boogers reluctantly when they jammed it up every few weeks.
Soon as they made the new models with the screw tops I quickly switched
Still love the idea though I have moved on to not using them anymore.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Had the same ones and would dissolve the little boogers reluctantly when they jammed it up every few weeks.
Soon as they made the new models with the screw tops I quickly switched
Still love the idea though I have moved on to not using them anymore.
They really were a good idea, but were just not not reliable. Mine was the smaller version with 1/2" returns and a 3/4" input. I epoxied PVC fittings on the ports so it could be hard plumbed easily. I did that before changing the top on it - and I never reinstalled it after that. It was a good idea taht could have used a little more time on the design table. I know you had the updayed version, but even those were not quite right. The manufacturer used to say that they were clog proof. Ha!

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Meanwhile, while I am waiting for stuff to grow out and to get my big tank running, I was surfing the net and found this little jewel. A 40-ounce pico tank - with a sump, light, and stand! I don't know why I am fascinated with small tanks, but this is kinda neat. Might be something fun to DIY too. These are made by a company called PNW Custom in Portland, OR. Would great for a great desk-top office tank - wait - I am retired! LOL!

1641749216279.png

Lazyfish

Marine Betta
Cunzo makes a simmilar system not quite as nice for around 50$ on ebay. It can be modded to make it better easily. I saw someone somewhere with one he was 3d printing a mini skimmer and all the accessories for it but I dont think hes updated in ages it was intresting. Looks like the same light as the cunzo one.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Cunzo makes a simmilar system not quite as nice for around 50$ on ebay. It can be modded to make it better easily. I saw someone somewhere with one he was 3d printing a mini skimmer and all the accessories for it but I dont think hes updated in ages it was intresting. Looks like the same light as the cunzo one.
I just thought it was a neat little setup. I like to DIY and it did give me a few ideas. The Pirate's Reef tank was all DIY and it was a lot of fun to build. I once built an airstone skimmer out of glass. I used it on a 30-gallon hex that I gave to my parents for Christmas many years ago. It worked pretty well. I wish I still had it, but I think I threw it away when I took their tank down. I get the urge every now and then to build something, but I am getting older and the "urge" doesn't come around as often. :)

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
It really is funny how these vendors play games with the names of corals. I recently ordered from World Wide Corals. One of the corals was called "WWC Speckled Leather" with just a small pic of the frag, but nothing of the mother colony. Turns out the coral is a simple Colt Coral frag.
341DEDAD-82A1-45EE-B907-EF9E8D59095D.jpeg

Another was named WWC Solomon Hairy Leather. The frag I got was 5-6 times larger and is a Neon Green Kenya Tree - by other more common descriptions. TheKenya Tree is one that I had in my list to acquire since I saw it in an article on Reef Breeders. I also wanted to add a Colt for the big tank, so I was pleased with what I got - and surprised. LOL! I guess they figured no one would buy them if they listed what they really are. :)

9D5E4351-D5F4-4B1C-88BB-FB373779E036.jpeg

I believe this is what it will turn into. This is what the frag I received looks like. The pic below is from Reef Breeders site. Mine is still not very happy after its journey.

kenya-tree-super-green-ReefKoi Corals.jpg

Last edited: