Rebuilding Pirate's Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

Lazyfish

Marine Betta
I've been seeing that a lot too recently calling corals completly something they are not. And I'm not just talking about branding them with a catchy name for a color morph.
Like on aquasd they have " "rare" japanese Christmas tree corals"...they look suspiciously like like Kenya's to me with a few color variations of brown polyps and green /blue green based varieties. I've seen and even had these exact colors before in Kenya's. You can tell this image is super saturated.
An actual Christmas tree coral is a thing but it dosnt look like this and I beleive it may be a nps or it looks like it could be. Note they do not put up the actual true latin name. Frags are from between 15 for super small to 200 or more.
Screenshot_20220112-045654_Chrome.jpg

Seeing this kind of thing makes me want to not order from them again.

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
It's all about the money. As long as someone buys corals at that price, they will stay high. Acans, zoanthids and euphylia were high at one point. When hobbyist start selling them cheaper and stop buying from them, prices come down.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
It really is funny how these vendors play games with the names of corals. I recently ordered from World Wide Corals. One of the corals was called "WWC Speckled Leather" with just a small pic of the frag, but nothing of the mother colony. Turns out the coral is a simple Colt Coral frag.

I'll pay $200 for a "WWC Speckled Leather"! Oh wait, its on R2R for a buy it now, make that $300! Oh, all sold out, but you have this look alike regular colt coral frag, I will take 3 for $20. SMH

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
with a few color variations of brown polyps

You shot yourself in the foot there. Call them Dark Crimson polyps and you can add another 0 behind the regular price.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
This whole name thing is getting silly and nothing more than marketing propaganda to be catchy to new / newer hobbiest.

Glad you got some pieces you were looking for / wanting.
I agree. People just calling stuff whatever the hell they want. There should be some sort of standard. Plus, some things just color up under different lighting and system chemistry. I bought a green leather at Petco a couple of months ago. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a frag that looked similar but it was more of a brown color. So, looked completely different. Well, after a couple of weeks in my system, it is now apparent that I have two frags of the same kind. The second frag I bought is now half green. I have seen SPS do that, but wasn't aware that softies did the same. :)
It's all about the money. As long as someone buys corals at that price, they will stay high. Acans, zoanthids and euphylia were high at one point. When hobbyist start selling them cheaper and stop buying from them, prices come down.
Exactly. Until people stop paying the exorbitant prices, they will only go up. Seems like I remember when Duncans first came to the market maybe 20 years ago, they were kind of pricey even for back then. They aren't the "hot" coral any longer, so they are decently priced in most places. I also hate the price per polyp deal nowadays.
I'll pay $200 for a "WWC Speckled Leather"! Oh wait, its on R2R for a buy it now, make that $300! Oh, all sold out, but you have this look alike regular colt coral frag, I will take 3 for $20. SMH
Remember when you could buy decent-sized colonies without taking out a loan? :)

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
See if you can find the Australian Premium Regular Master Scolymia for only $899.
Ha! I like that they have it blown up to about twice the real size. Looks like it is really only about 2" in diameter. That price would cover about three months' worth of groceries for me, my wife, and my dog. LOL! Totally insane! Wake up, people! Quit paying outrageous prices for your precious! 'animatedg'

1642089373666.png

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
View attachment 23151

Live Aquaria, ORA corals

I'm far more contrarian in the hobby and am perfectly contempt with the ORA line and just the classics. $190 is steep, not out of line with the current times honestly. But renting an apartment in Sidney, setting up a frag tank of old classics and then renaming them to "Limited Collection Aussie Pearlberry" is not below me LOL.