Rebuilding Pirate's Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

dwebster86

Ko-Ko Worm
POTY Winner
POTM Winner
Re: I Miss My Old Nano

And I'm about to setup a innovative nuvo 8 gallon. Makes me feel like I'm taking the easy way out LOL

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

dwebster86 said:
And I'm about to setup a innovative nuvo 8 gallon. Makes me feel like I'm taking the easy way out LOL
Not at all. It will work fine. These pics were taken about 8 years ago. Things are different now.

dwebster86

Ko-Ko Worm
POTY Winner
POTM Winner

Aye Technology. This 8 gallon is something extra for me to maintain as my 90g freshwater and 90g reef tank aren't enough lol.

I get bored easy too :)

Though I got this 8gallon for free from a LARC member, so We'll see. It's smaller than I thought though.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

Redfish said:
That is one cool looking tank :)
Thank you! I have been missing it, so I thought I would drag it out of storage. Maybe update it a bit. Lighting has changed a great deal since I built it.

The part of the story that is missing, since the original build thread no longer exists, is how that tank was originally inspired. So, since this is a re-build (I threw all of that plumbing away) and a lot of new people are seeing this for the first time, here is what prompted me to build this thing.

As far as the overboard equipment and plumbing, this was nothing. There was this guy named John Burleson, who at one time wrote columns for FAMA Magazine. I'm talking abut back in the early 80's here. He built a small in-wall 29 gallon display and did a story on it for the magazine. Behind the tank, in his fish room, there was an entire wall of support equipment devoted to that one little display. I can't even begin to tell you what it all was, but I remember thinking that the guy was nuts and how that might be fun to do, but on a smaller scale. So, I ended up with a cabinet full of equipment instead of a whole wall.

I also knew that there would be a lot of stuff around the tank (plumbing and lights) that I did not want to show. All I wanted was the front display glass and I didn't want to cut a hole in my wall. So, I came up with the idea of the treasure chest and thought it might look like a chest full of treasures, with small colorful pieces of coral. That is pretty much what I ended up with.

Unfortunately, the tank served mostly for collecting frags for the 140. So, when the 140 was finished, I robbed all the corals out of it and it got taken over by aiptasia, so I broke it down and stored it. I couldn't throw it away and felt like I might set it up again someday. Well, that day may have arrived. :D

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger

This is going to be fun to watch, I will be tagging along for sure!

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

It probably won't be set up quite the same way. Need to clean it up first and see what is still of use.

The other thing I didn't mention is that all of the equipment in that original build was stuff that I already had and had no other use for. So, it was a fairly cheap build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

Aussie Rainbow Acan

Sweet! Can't wait to see this back up and running! What are you doing for lighting?

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I Miss My Old Nano

I do have a Kessil 360 laying around. Plans changed after I bought it. Don't know if I can get it high enough over the tank to do any good, but thought I would at least see if it would work. Shimmer in that little tank would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cajun boy

Skimmate

That chest tank is so sweet! I thought about starting my two pico's again. I had much less trouble with them!!!

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

cajun boy said:
That chest tank is so sweet! I thought about starting my two pico's again. I had much less trouble with them!!!
Thanks! I built another nano to replace this one, but it was never the same. I still have the stand that it sat on (it was originally built for a 45 gallon tank), the chest and the tank. A little clean-up and a fresh coat of paint on the interior panels of the chest and they will be as good as new. The exterior looks pretty good. I think I will cut the tank apart and reseal it with black silicone. It has been sitting dry for 5-6 years in a hot attic, so I would feel better with fresh silicone holding it together. Not sure I want to tackle that plumbing around the tank again though. Dumb move throwing all of that away. I do still have the SCWD, which was modded so I can open up the top to clean it out. We will see.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

Well, a bit of bad news. Upon more careful examination, I found the bottom of the tank has a small crack in it. But, should be an easy fix, since I was planning on cutting the tank apart anyway. I will just have to cut a new bottom.

I don't know how it got broken. It was stored away and I thought I was careful with it. Apparently not! !imp!

DSC02985_zps40f3fa53.jpg

The tank will be cut apart and rebuilt with a new bottom. Really don't want to drill all those holes again, so I hope that is the only cracked or scratched panel. I will have to clean it up a little better to check for scratches on the viewing pane at least.
DSC02983_zps2343f235.jpg

With a little clean up, the canopy is still in great shape. No refinishing or touch-ups needed! I hope I still have those 3" fans that mounted in it.
DSC02980_zps278cc2a0.jpg

DSC02986_zpsc516d42e.jpg

DSC02987_zps9465d8c9.jpg

The main housing is in good condition also. May need a little painting on the inside, but that's about it. Still needs a little cleaning, so we will see. The white stuff is just some old double sided tape that held on the corner trim.
DSC02981_zpsa2c75edd.jpg

Travis

Aussie Rainbow Acan

Awesome. I too stored a tank carefully but it ended up cracking as well. No idea how.

Travis

Aussie Rainbow Acan
Re: I Miss My Old Nano - So Rebuilding Starts on Page 2!

Oh cool lol

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

Hung the Kessil in there just for grins. It is only about 5" off of where the water's surface will be. It is not centered over the tank (more toward the back) and it casts shadows in both of the upper front corners. I could move it a little further forward, or mount it tilted at about a 15 degree angle will also correct that. Still not sure I want to use the Kessil for this though. Just thought it would be fun for a look. I could get all the light in there that I wanted though. :lol:

I also noticed that the front glass is lightly scratched. Not bad and water may hide it completely, but as long as I am replacing the bottom, one more new piece won't matter much. The viewing pane is pretty important on this tank.

DSC02994_zpsd25dc914.jpg

DSC02996_zps46181e15.jpg

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger

Considering you completely built this tank yourself, what about a small DIY LED setup?

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

Grabloids said:
Considering you completely built this tank yourself, what about a small DIY LED setup?
I really never considered doing that. Something to think about, but not sure I want to go that route.

One option that I am interested in is a slimline LED fixture from "Build My LED." I have one of their fixtures that I plan to use on my refugium on the 140. Might be a good fit for this particular tank. I like the 20k.

http://www.buildmyled.com/20000k-reef-spectrum-xb-series/

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I moved this thread over to the 40 and under nano section and re-titled it.

After looking over the old glass nano tank, I have decided to just rebuild the whole thing. I cheated a bit and had the glass shop just cut my glass for me. The other one, I cut myself from scraps I had laying around. But, seeings as I knocked over my stash of 1/4" plate glass during the summer and broke almost all of it, I didn't have enough laying around to build the tank. So, I will have nice, clean unblemished glass to work with this time around.

photo_zps2bb73ffc.jpg

I have ordered an 18" "Build My LED" 20000K XB fixture. Very compact, bright - affordable -and well made strip light. They are dimmable and can be linked to the variable inputs on the Apex controller. I think it will work very well on this tank. Probably the easiest to mount, because of its size. I will post pics when I get it. This is a pic from elsewhere.

TankMounts_zps5b041b9c.jpg

Travis

Aussie Rainbow Acan
Sweeeeet. I assume they have them angled to reduce the spot light affect LEDs have?