Rebuilding Pirate's Reef

Users who are viewing this thread

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Kirk_M said:
What about using a "command" adhesive strip?
I have some of those Command Strips, but when I said "removable," I meant like every now and then. I have the display on the 140 on a small acrylic stand. It sits free standing on top of one of my large speakers (speaking of magnets...) by the aquarium. Whenever I need to change something, I can just pick up the display. Of course, with Fusion, I probably won't need to be tinkering with the display much anyway. I will figure something out.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Travis said:
Did you get the other led in yet?
No, not yet. They are handmade when the order is received (in Austin, TX) and each one is bench tested for several hours before they go out. Takes a couple of weeks to get them, so they are still pretty quick, considering the process.

I may drill some holes today. I think I finally have all of the correct drill bits and bulkheads. Sure wish I could find my old brass drill bit tube for 3/4" bulkheads. Those are the old style bits, that require the use of Silicon Carbide Grit to drill holes. To me, they always made smoother finished holes. They wouldn't work well with a hand-held drill though.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I did get the tank glass drilled over the weekend. I decided to use the translucent Momentive RTV-108 instead of the black that I have. So, I have to wait on that now. I am hoping to assemble the tank together over the long holiday weekend.

I am going with the blue background on this tank, so I didn't think the black would look that well. I even painted the visible bulkhead fittings blue to match, using Krylon Fusion. Contemplating painting the overflow the same way, to blend in better with the blue background. Still mulling over that decision.

photo3_zpsc09b7d52.jpg

photo1_zpsd319c988.jpg

photo_zpsa96525b1.jpg

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
I have never seen a hole saw like that ,,,,, that is pretty cool :) I didn't think about is but I bet blue would look better in that tank :)

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Yeah, the drill is something I lucked into getting my hands on about 25 years ago. Don't use it much, but it is handy when I do need it.

I have never had a blue background tank. Always used black to minimize the appearance of overflows, plumbing and equipment. So, for me, this is very different.

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
I think with a smaller tank like this, jmo, will will have to wait and see, blue just might be the ticket to brighten the inside of the tank up a bit.

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I ran across these wooden APEX mounts / faceplates again this evening. I had seen them before, but didn't think much of them. The description says that these come with mounting hardware that allows the case and APEX to be snapped onto the wall or stand. They were only $4.99, so I thought I would get one to see what I could do with it. They come unfinished and have to be stained or painted. I still have the can of stain that I did the stand and chest with, so I thought I would use that and maybe that might make for a nice way to mount the unit on the chest or stand.

Not a great picture of them....

APEXFaceplate_zpsa51398c2.jpg

I also heard back from Neptune today on my base unit. They said there were multiple fried ICs on the main board. They said it was probably from a power surge. The odd thing is, the thing worked fine with anything that could be programmed from the display unit, but no way it would hook up to the network. I wasted a whole lot of time trying to be smart and figure the problem out myself. It will cost $145 to fix. Still cheaper than buying a new base unit, which they were going to discount $65 to me. So, I will also be investing in a couple of quality surge protectors.

ryno212

Blue Ring Octopus
Now that's my type of nano!!!! Great job Gary

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
ryno212 said:
Now that's my type of nano!!!! Great job Gary
Ha! Thanks Ryan! I am just having fun.

I was just about to do an upate. I hope I can make some progress over the long weekend. Started out with a little pre-assembly painting of the outside of the back and side panels. Only one viewing pane in this one.

photo_zps0e0f31c9.jpg

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Just have the tank pieces sitting in place. Ready for some masking and silicone. I just wanted to get an idea of how all this blue will look. When I go blue, I go blue! :) Hoping using the paint on the bulkheads and overflow wasn't a mistake. But, that is how we learn - when crazy people try stuff that you think won't work out. :)

DSC03065_zps587621e0.jpg

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Well, we now have a tank to work with. Assembled it this morning. Just took a few build pics, as it is pretty much a non-stop process once you start. Taping off your joints really makes this easier and neater. Some of it has already been removed, after those beads were smoothed out. Just takes a little planning and prep time.

Two sides
image_zps4f664db1.jpg

Three sides
image_zps6e6d19c7.jpg

Four sides
image_zps6d7eaf47.jpg

Only some painters tape remaining holding it square to dry.
image_zpsbc0fbb8b.jpg

And look - square with no corner clamps! :D
photo_zps3da551a8.jpg

GPReefer

Let the Fin Begin!
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Travis said:
GPReefer said:
And look - square with no corner clamps! :D

Gary got skillz
Ha! I couldn't resist. I have built a lot of glass boxes and I have never used those corner clamps to line it up. I see people use those often on builds on other forums. Move it to square while it is setting up, tape it off and let it dry.