Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XL 200 Build

Users who are viewing this thread

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
about 2 weeks ago I was doing to trimming of my SPS and for whatever reason it triggering something in my Splendid Dottyback. I have one fish with scales missing and another with nearly have its tail fin missing. I think this is more of a "Tank is not big enough" thing more than anything else. There aren't constant attacks, but there are distressed behaviors in the other two fish. Hiding constantly, cowering in the corners near the bottom of the tank. What do I do though? I don't feel like I have many options for soemthing like this. I know the fish that is attacking, I know how to easily remove him. I just don't know what else there is I can do.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
PXL_20220129_202745160.MP.jpg

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
This is very nice!
I feel like it is slightly overpriced, but I also feel like I would spend it on this hood over and over again. The quality is top notch. Still $186 before tax and shipping is rough.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
Are you pleased with the new coral additions?
I really am thrilled to have the new corals, but there is one major issue. My Clown goby has taken a series interest in one of them. You always said she would nip, and she hadn't touched a thing until this coral. It looks like it was a gateway drug type of thing because she is going nuts on a few of them now. I'm in general not all that worried about it but am keeping a seriously close eye on the whole shebang. I believe that the nipping at the established colonies not to have an issue, it is just the new frags I have some worries for. If they can last the few couple weeks, I think they will make it in the long run.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I didn't buy the lid to just have it sit there. Where do you all get your fish livestock?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I didn't buy the lid to just have it sit there. Where do you all get your fish livestock?
That is a really nice lid. I am going to need to build or buy one for my tank. Where did you get that?

Where do you all get your fish livestock?
I would advise diver direct for anything Florida native otherwise I would get it through a local shop for imported and quarantine myself at home.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I know it is a long drive, but I always get my SW fish from @seth&angelle at Coral Fever. He treats them with therapeutic levels of copper before selling any of them. I just cannot get myself to ever setup another QT tank just for fish.

I will get molly fish from Lafayette and slowly drip-acclimate them to SW over 1-2 days in a 5 gallon bucket. From what I understand, it is impossible for them to transmit FW diseases to SW that way. Prazipro is necessary to de-worm them, yet Joey at Aquarium Central does that before introducing them to his tanks. He keeps them in brackish water which gives them a head start. I have seen mollies bite at long GHA. Most algae-eating marine fish will not touch the stuff when it is long from what I have read.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
On the mollies, try get solid black, so that they can perform double duty and can also show case any SW parasites. Mollies will have no immunity to SW parasites, and they are black, so they show up really fast. But otherwise, the hobby trade name for "green mollies" will be your closest to natural brackish water mollies. Joey is right if he is keeping them in brackish, that is their natural habitat ;).

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I know it is a long drive, but I always get my SW fish from @seth&angelle at Coral Fever. He treats them with therapeutic levels of copper before selling any of them. I just cannot get myself to ever setup another QT tank just for fish.

Agree. The store here in Metairie has a pretreatment policy, but if you take the time to inspect their tanks, you can clearly see there are shortcuts taken. Most of the fish that look good do because they weren't there very long. I won't go as far to say don't buy something you see there, but definitely fully quarantine it. I can't really speak for the two in Kenner, I just don't know what they do or don't do.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
That is a really nice lid. I am going to need to build or buy one for my tank. Where did you get that?
I purchased the lid from ClearView Lids. They quoted a 60 day turn around, but it arrived in about 9 days.

I know it is a long drive, but I always get my SW fish from @seth&angelle at Coral Fever.
The big thing I factor in is, time/fuel/consumables verse shipping. I rather support local but local ain't 4 hours.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
The clown goby has been nonstop harassing the Acros. Bleaching out in areas, no polyp extension, scared there are no more polyps. I have no experience with Acros so I don't even know what to look for. I pulled the fish out today.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
The clown goby has been nonstop harassing the Acros. Bleaching out in areas, no polyp extension, scared there are no more polyps. I have no experience with Acros so I don't even know what to look for. I pulled the fish out today.
I really wanted to get one of those yet heard they can cause damage to SPS coral. It never cause damage to your other SPS prior?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I recall that clown goby's naturally inhabit acro colonies. I suspect that in the wild the colonies are large enough the mitigate the nuisance. In our tanks though, the colonies are much smaller and it results similar to a clown trying to host a LPS.