Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XL 200 Build

Users who are viewing this thread

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I have been burning through DI resin super fast. I was replacing the color changing resin every 100 gallons. Contacted BRS and asked them what could be causing the issue. We went through a few steps of checking the plumbing and after looking into in coming water quality, it was instantly clear I didn't have the proper filters. I was running 5 micron sediment and carbon block. They instructed me to swap to the 1 micron filters, they arrived today, including more resin. It will take time to see if it helps.

The dosers have made the tank such an ease to take care of. I'm not saying that it was a chore before. It is taking care of itself so good it almost worries me that I may lose track of a parameter to long. I have picked up my feedings, I would say I have tripled the amount and also added in freeze dried/pellets to the diet. It took them a bit to get used to it. They are used to frozen foods. Brine Shrimp is the favorite. I am using 3 different sizes of pellets. I bought an air tight container and just dumped all three into it. Give it a shack and grab a pinch. I feed about 1mL of the pellets twice a day. 1 cube of brine shrimp. I cut off one Tunze but leave everything else on. The feed timer is 15 minutes I believe, and the tank drops from 35x turnover down to about 25x.

I really want something digging in the sand bed. sand bed as an average depth of 2.25 inches. I can't go sand sifter goby because of the open top and the tank is in a very noise/high traffic area. starfish, snails, I really don't know what I could put. I am on the search for a healthy pair of clowns. Pink Skunks are at the top of the list but there are some high end clownfish that I really like. All white with black spots look amazing. Hint Hint Louisiana stores, I rather give you my money.
IMG_20210505_163612.jpg

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
place an order for a bubble bee snail, nassarius snails, serpent star fish and a blue/green favia, should be in on Monday. Exciting as I haven't added any new coral in some time.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I have been burning through DI resin super fast. I was replacing the color changing resin every 100 gallons. Contacted BRS and asked them what could be causing the issue. We went through a few steps of checking the plumbing and after looking into in coming water quality, it was instantly clear I didn't have the proper filters. I was running 5 micron sediment and carbon block. They instructed me to swap to the 1 micron filters, they arrived today, including more resin. It will take time to see if it helps.

Good luck with that, but I do not think that was the correct solution, albeit I agree you should run 1 micron. This will protect your RO membrane, but will have no impact on your DI resin. Are you measuring TDS? If you have low TDS coming out of your RO membrane, say 5 or less and you are blowing through DI, then you have high CO2 in your water source. If this is not the case, then your source water is high in ammonia, metals or silicates and you may want to use separate DI resins instead of a mixed bed.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
Good luck with that, but I do not think that was the correct solution, albeit I agree you should run 1 micron. This will protect your RO membrane, but will have no impact on your DI resin. Are you measuring TDS? If you have low TDS coming out of your RO membrane, say 5 or less and you are blowing through DI, then you have high CO2 in your water source. If this is not the case, then your source water is high in ammonia, metals or silicates and you may want to use separate DI resins instead of a mixed bed.
My TDS never get above 3 even after the Resin is gold. Whatever is in that water will grow algae like no ones business.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I suspect you have high CO2 then. Do let us know how the unit performs with the 1 micron profilers, incase BRS saw something I am missing. Either way, you will get longe life out of the RO membranes with the 1 micron protection.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
This was my experience years back... not fun :cry:.
I have that splendid dottyback that herds the chromis like sheep. Never attacks, never bites, just chorales them around the tank. I always wondered if that is a cause for them to get along. ALSO, my chromis are not the same species. They are both "Blue/Green" but are DEFINATELY not the same fish.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I have that splendid dottyback that herds the chromis like sheep. Never attacks, never bites, just chorales them around the tank. I always wondered if that is a cause for them to get along. ALSO, my chromis are not the same species. They are both "Blue/Green" but are DEFINATELY not the same fish.

Could be. If the chromes see the dottyback as an aggressor, they will fall into shoal formation for protection. When you feed the tank though, you should bring out the inner pigs lol. Chromis don't seem to care about species specific and they will shoal interspecies. I dont think they will mate that way, but for protection, they just need numbers.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
Could be. If the chromes see the dottyback as an aggressor, they will fall into shoal formation for protection. When you feed the tank though, you should bring out the inner pigs lol. Chromis don't seem to care about species specific and they will shoal interspecies. I dont think they will mate that way, but for protection, they just need numbers.
Oh man they are some savage pigs. Baby Brine shrimp will send them into a frenzy

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I personally think Reef Nutritions Real Ocean Eggs is the most underrated food available in this hobby. With chromis, check that one out. Also, IME, my chromis did not pick each other off when they were well fed and often fed. I have not been able to reproduce this because I have not been able to get a school out of QT and you can't feed a QT to the same level you can feed a reef tank.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I personally think Reef Nutritions Real Ocean Eggs is the most underrated food available in this hobby. With chromis, check that one out. Also, IME, my chromis did not pick each other off when they were well fed and often fed. I have not been able to reproduce this because I have not been able to get a school out of QT and you can't feed a QT to the same level you can feed a reef tank.
I agree completely. I love the fish mostly because of their type of feeding and what they feed on. Open water plankton feeders in the high currents/turbulent that they naturally inhabit. They would feed 24/7 in the wild because they would have to because they are using so much energy hunting. vicious cycle. lol I feed them minimum 3 times a day. Usually food only they and the corals will eat. Dottyback just looks at the specks cross-eyed.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Open water plankton feeders in the high currents/turbulent that they naturally inhabit.
Not enough people in the hobby understand this and end up underfeeding their open water swimming fish. I blame pellets for this.

Dottyback just looks at the specks cross-eyed.
LOL

What do you feed the dottyback, anything special, or he just grabs the larger particles?

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
What do you feed the dottyback, anything special, or he just grabs the larger particles?

The best way I can explain it is he is a saltwater large mouth bass. Crustaceans seem to be his favorite. (including emerald crabs) Mysis shrimp appear to be just the right size for him to eat, anything larger and he will have to chew on it. Clams also seem to be a favorite. Anything smaller than 1mm and he won't even budge. I will say that if you feed them pellets, you notice how messy an eater they are. They aren't aggressive feeders. They tend to sit in their cave and watch for food to pass by and just gently suck the food in and go back. I wouldn't even say they dart out. Rather docile fish overall. Very intelligent fish with great eye sight. He will stare down crabs, fish, snails. You can see his brain ticking. He hates my dog.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
The best way I can explain it is he is a saltwater large mouth bass. Crustaceans seem to be his favorite. (including emerald crabs) Mysis shrimp appear to be just the right size for him to eat, anything larger and he will have to chew on it. Clams also seem to be a favorite. Anything smaller than 1mm and he won't even budge. I will say that if you feed them pellets, you notice how messy an eater they are. They aren't aggressive feeders. They tend to sit in their cave and watch for food to pass by and just gently suck the food in and go back. I wouldn't even say they dart out. Rather docile fish overall. Very intelligent fish with great eye sight. He will stare down crabs, fish, snails. You can see his brain ticking. He hates my dog.

I never realized that about dotty backs. Reminds me of my hawkfish RIP

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
Did some testing and everything checks out in the normal range that I run the tank at. Finished a 30% waterchange yesterday. Another coral breaks the water surface during the waterchange which for some reason excites me. I had my Ultron coral sitting between two large rocks and I started noticing it encrusting on both rock surfaces. This is not something I want to happen. I want a single colony, never want to break a piece off. This is my jaw dropper coral, pure eye candy. Moved it over a few inches, it is getting increased PAR and flow. Now much but enough to change the body shape. It is in a good way.

ultron.jpg

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
My new serpent star is doing great. It has been in there for about 1.5 week now. Eating fine and looking nice and thick. I received a coral with the lot and it instantly went down hill. I have got a handle on it now and nursing it back to life. It was the first color I have ever seen that was a true "brown out" Went from bright blue/green to that brown/purple color of corals. It is turning for the better. Still haven't got a picture of it yet because it is in my hospital area and pretty off limits to my camera angle.

IMG_20210525_151559.jpg