Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XL 200 Build

Users who are viewing this thread

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
PXL_20210701_152040500.MP.jpg

So pretty, it out competed my zoas. That seems impressive.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
As you can see in the photo above, I have a bit of a hair algae problem still. Parameters are spot on where I want them at though.

S.g 35
Cal 410
Alk 8.7
Phos .04
Nitrates untracable
Mag 1400

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
How many emerald crabs do you keep in there? I love them for algae control except when they get too big. That is when I see them going after fish with more determination.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
How many emerald crabs do you keep in there? I love them for algae control except when they get too big. That is when I see them going after fish with more determination.
I have gone through 5 emerald crabs and currently only have 1 small ruby. My Dottyback thinks they taste really good. The only reason the Ruby is probably still around is because she is small enough to hide.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

I have never seen that. How big did yours get?

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I am not sure of the measurement, but it was one of the largest I have seen in aquaria. It would hang on the rock and claw after the fish as they passed by. I fed the tank enough I am sure. I guess they get a desire for fresh meat when they get older. I heard from Joey at Aquarium Central that one sex is more aggressive than the other. Is it the males? I have a hard time telling them apart.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I am not sure of the measurement, but it was one of the largest I have seen in aquaria. It would hang on the rock and claw after the fish as they passed by. I fed the tank enough I am sure. I guess they get a desire for fresh meat when they get older. I heard from Joey at Aquarium Central that one sex is more aggressive than the other. Is it the males? I have a hard time telling them apart.
My largest I ever had was in this tank, easily 2in wide body. I never considered sexing the crabs. Seems like such an easy thing to do with us boys that grew up on the Gulf.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Yea agree, pretty easy to do when they are big enough to boil lol. Never tried a small one, but I will next time I order some from KP.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I really want another Birdsnest and I believe I may finally add a torch or other euphyllia. I have an area that is on a point in the rocks jetting into a pretty strong laminar flow that is constant. It has been too much flow for any of the LPS I have tried there. It would be a great spot for another SPS but the PAR in that area is 150 MAX. It needs to be a special piece because it is going to be one of the last for the tank. It also can't be Pink.

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
I have a nutrient issue that I am trying to resolve. I have a plan of action but still sucks to deal with but I suppose that is part of the hobby
PXL_20211008_202427268.MP.jpg

marine_tibby

Harlequin Tusk
You have chaeto in the sump? If not, I have some I can give you.
Not yet, but that is part of my plan going forward. My area I would grow the chaeto is covered by my RO/DI reservoir sits on top and would just way to complicated to work with. SO! My eyes are wide open looking for a eye appealing RO/DI reservoir that I can have on the outside of my stand which would greatly upgrade the possibilities of my sump. I have my lighting all sorted and ready to order. Just finding something to hold water that can blend in with decor is a tough one. I don't want to drop $200 on a bucket of water if you catch what I am saying.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Just finding something to hold water that can blend in with decor is a tough one. I don't want to drop $200 on a bucket of water if you catch what I am saying.
What about rolling your own? Get a cheap tubberware container for the size you need and box it out with some craft work. You can go plywood stained or painted, or hit a craft store and get creating with basketweave or something else. There are many ideas out on the web for some creative ATO options.

For example, here is a "food safe" 50 lb pet food container for $45. Looks like it will hold about 15 gallons of water. At 14"x14" footprint, you could skin this in a 3/8" plywood box about 15"x15" footprint or even tighter. Make it out of headboard and/opr Decorate it to your liking. Does not need a bottom, make the top removable (no hardware needed) and put a potted plant on it or make it into a cat tree. There is a lot of options.