HELP SPS unhappy post Ida

Users who are viewing this thread

Pêcheur

Kole Tang
Post Ida, my SPS have been deteriorating. Prior to the storm, I had 1 Acro and 3 montis for 1 month, and added 8 more acros 2 weeks before the storm. For the most part, they had all been doing well.

The ones I had for a month were doing fine except one monti had some color loss, possibly due to 0 nutrients.

The pre-Ida 2 week old acros seemed happy with great polyp extension and coloration.

Post storm I had a vectra battery backup that worked for 15min on/off for 2 days until I got a generator. Then I had lights for a few hours and additional Nero 3 flow for another 3 days. Temp swings between 73 - 78.

Post storm my heater was malfunctioning and tripping the breaker

Since restoration of power almost two weeks ago my montis have browned significantly and 5 of the 9 acros are losing tissue from the growth tips, polyp extension is depressed. LPS seem happy, though I had one with significant tissue loss the week of the storm.

I did a 5% water change on Friday and a 10% WC on Sunday.
Parameters
1.026 SG
8.3 dKh
430 Ca
3 NO3
0 PO4
Temp 77

What do I need to do to stabilize these SPS?

4AE1E811-3D27-4598-A51B-9057ED3D3055.jpeg
441981DA-2ED3-4E45-9EC9-6E5A63EBE70C.jpeg
14A44B39-F018-455D-8771-FFEF41087967.jpeg
ADFE5413-C144-40B9-93F0-8CF93E7096D7.jpeg
F26555AF-49E8-4722-8AD1-4B39F5820E0F.jpeg

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
What do I need to do to stabilize these SPS?

Nothing! Do as much of absolutely nothing as you can. SPS corals need stability. Your parameters look great, hold them there. Perhaps you had a bout with ammonia during the storm, but it is processed so quickly, there is no point in checking it. Make sure filters are looking good and perhaps dial the lights back 10% or 20% since you should reacclimate them after several days with limited lighting. I would also suggest keeping the temp at 77F for now. Temp swings are bad and lower temps will slow the coral metabolism, which gives them time to eat and heal.

Do feed when polyps are extended at night and make sure skimmer is working in top condition to remove uneaten foods and wastes. I find corals respond best to oyster eggs/fish eggs. Just seems to be an all around best food.

No guarantees you can save them, but stability will give them the best shot.

Also, for future storms/power outages, I would skip the lights and just focus on flow. Then when power restores, acclimate them like they are new corals again.

Pêcheur

Kole Tang
Make sure filters are looking good and perhaps dial the lights back 10% or 20% since you should reacclimate them after several days with limited lighting. I would also suggest keeping the temp at 77F for now. Temp swings are bad and lower temps will slow the coral metabolism, which gives them time to eat and heal.

Do feed when polyps are extended at night and make sure skimmer is working in top condition to remove uneaten foods and wastes. I find corals respond best to oyster eggs/fish eggs. Just seems to be an all around best food.

No guarantees you can save them, but stability will give them the best shot.
I did a 7 day lighting acclimation from 60% of my normal lighting when power was restored.

I do feed RS AB+ about 3 times a week and ReefNutrition ROE daily.

No skimmer, it was removed when I couldn’t get nutrients to register. Running upflow algae scrubber and 1 fleece roller.

1 change post storm, alkalinity has stabilized about 1dKh higher than it was pre-storm for some reason. I previously kept it around 7.5.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
All sorts of things go wrong with extended power outages that mostly are beyond our control short of having whole house generator to keep temperatures stable in home / tank and the tank operating normally.

When corals are stressed they do not uptake Calcium and Alkalinity like they used to do so your DKH and Calcium will increase from this.
testing several times per week will help you dial your doing back some to stabilize OR keeping it stable 1 dkh higher for a while.
Between this chemistry upset, coral stress, temperature fluctuations in the tank there is plenty to suggest you Will loose some corals.
Stoney corals can appear to have pulled through well after an event like this only to quickly die weeks to months later from this very event.
Do what you can to keep the tank stable and ensure to provide good flow, adding some Amino acids one / two times per week will help some bounce back. Others will not make it no matter what we can or can not do.