Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
My Apex does not work well unless connected to ethernet. Anyone else have this problem? Besides that, I will need to do lots of computer work in there and may want to stream stuff for entertainment.

Last edited:

Cigmin

CrossHatch Trigger
I used a wireless bridge not sure you want to try take befor digging.

1. Does your home wireless reach the sunroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
While at it pull a waste line too. You could hook a pump up to this and use it to pump out waste water from the skimmer, water changes, dumping waste, whatever. For the waste, I would pull another 1/2" PE line and this would not have to be cased, at least I don't think. Pretty sure saltwater skimmate water would be its own deterrent lol
I already have a waste-water line. It actually goes under the slab of the old building. I am currently running the dehumidifier output through it. It dumps out at the side of the building. I will not have a sink in there. I wonder what sort of drian to use. ':huh:' If I put a screen at the outlet, can I skip doing a water trap?

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I used a wireless bridge not sure you want to try take befor digging.

1. Does your home wireless reach the sunroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I could try that "wireless bridge." I already have a about 75 feet of Cat 6 ethernet line. The length of conduit would not be that long. It would take more work yet running the line would be cheaper.

The wireless does not reach. Aluminum siding has something to do with that.
What apex u have?
Apex EL.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
My Apex does not work well unless connected to ethernet. Anyone else have this problem? Besides that, I will need to do lots of computer work in there and may want to stream stuff for entertainment.

my 2016 apex is a POS in terms of wireless connection. Flat out will not work.
Heck I can not get it to connect at all to wireless even with tech support. They told me to send it back in once they found out its not my internet in the home.
My son can run his gaming computer on Wifi with no lag time at all, Only device that will not connect to wifi is my apex so hard line only option.
Still have to run wires through some walls for a permanent connection.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
Referring back to this drawing again, what do you all think about having another tank blocking the view of this overflow? I like to be able to view it from time to time to check if the overflow screen is blocked or not. Still, I have been fine cleaning it once every 2 years.

16196366330962763405795419698331.jpg

16209461414651971198127614708743.jpg

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
Can there be too many tanks?
According to my illustration, the 20 gallon tank would block the overflow view. I am not planning for a 3rd tank in this room. I am thinking about just doing a 40-60 gallon cube instead of the 20 gallon DT as the illustration shows.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I finally got these windows looking more presentable. It will not be too bright of a sunroom. I was concerned about too much natural light feeding algae growth in the displays.

20210521_121819.jpg

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I just moved the 34 gallon Deep Blue tank into the sunroom. I plan to take better pics later this week. I am not sure about the use the hood over this tank. I would rather not hit my head on it when I have to work in the tank. I have a smaller hood that could work. Right now I am going with the Frankenstein approach since I am not using my t5s. I would love to put one 36" LED strip fixture in front of the Radion... perhaps a bit lower and tilted to focus backwards about 20 to 30 degrees. Any ideas for aesthic mounting options? The cabinet above the tank does not come forward enough to mount directly under it... poor planning on my part. I thought about using some fiberglass rods running parallel with the floor & coming out from the wall and mounted under the cabinets. I am sure I will hit my head on the LED strip and fiberglass rods instead. -doh2- Another option is to use one of those hybrid t5/LED fixtures, yet that is not my preference. Another idea would be just to do 2 Radion XR15 fixtures, yet I do not prefer that either. I know the radion has too much backward tilt. The more I think about it, the more I am thinking of going with a smaller, floating hood that can be mounted to the wall and cabinets above.
20210526_171151.jpg

Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
This 40 breeder with over-sized stand is so much more pleasant for me to deal with than the standard 30 gallon tank I used as a sump for years. I have to say this is the cleanest looking sump I have ever had. The skimmer in the same compartment as the filter sock has been working well to keep my chaeto looking rather clean in comparison to my prior sump. The coarse foam filter also helps a good bit with that.

1624335807846761840243617918585.jpg

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
What light are you running there? Do you have issues with algae growth in the skimmer? I ran a red/blue LED fixture for my refugium and was having issues with algae growth in my skimmer. I had to change out the lenses on the LED's to tighten up the spread so algae grew in the right place lol.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
What light are you running there? Do you have issues with algae growth in the skimmer? I ran a red/blue LED fixture for my refugium and was having issues with algae growth in my skimmer. I had to change out the lenses on the LED's to tighten up the spread so algae grew in the right place lol.
@Humblefish, this is the LED grow light you often recommend from Amazon. Can you please post a link for it.

@clsanchez77, I am getting some algae growth in the skimmer. I thought about the following options:

(1) drop the light down a bit lower using a scrap piece of oak. I could round the edges in case I hit my head on the mount. Pitting it toward the back of the tank a bit would help prevent that. I will get more SW exposure to the fixture. Any ideas how to prevent that?
(2) rigging some sort of metal halide reflector around the fixture
(3) Fabricate some sort of vertical, hanging light block. I could just do something small (about 4-5 inches square). I wonder if I could hang it directly from the light on the skimmer side. This could be used with (1) above. It could also block SW spray from the sock.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
@Humblefish, this is the LED grow light you often recommend from Amazon. Can you please post a link for it.
https://www.amazon.com/ACKE-Lights-Spectrum-Lights,Growing-Hydropoincs/dp/B01LX1EO3W

^^ For some reason that link isn't cooperating. So Google "Acme 12w grow light" - $26 on Amazon 'Thumbs_up_green'

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
Thanks, Bobby. This light works well. I do need to work towards having the light more focused on the chaeto. I need to reduce the spread elsewhere.

CenlaReefer

Undulate Triggerfish
LARC Supporter
I need to add a 2nd filter sock for the cube tank that will be plumbed together with this sump. I am not sure if this is the exact filter sock holder I am using, but mine is similar:

I get too much splash and was wondering if you all know of any dual 4 inch holders that have vertical components that help to block the splash. The plan is to have 2 socks side by side in the back corner with both being against the back-glass. I guess I could just make something with acrylic. It would have been better if I planned ahead and made something more permanent to fit in the tank like some of those "professional" sumps. I guess I could still do that if I drain the sump a bit. I would like something that allows for ultra easy removal of socks. It would be nice to slide them in and out with a forward to back to forward motion.

Last edited: