Temperature question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffp1986

Harlequin Tusk
My temp is running 79.3 I have my heater set at 75. Should I lower the heater some to get the temp down or is this temp OK? Everything seems to be doing well other then a candy cane coral the just died.

Attachments

• 20210418_182731.jpg
    20210418_182731.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210418_183209.jpg
    20210418_183209.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 16

The GOB

Blue Dot Stingray
Administrator
POTQ Winner
79 won't hurt anything as long as it stays relatively steady. Temp swings cause more issues until you get to 84+ and then you may start seeing heat issues. Double check your thermometer against another one. IME, most hobby thermometers aren't that accurate.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I agree that 79 is not any reason for coral loss or undue stress.
Flow is very important in any marine tank and plenty is needed.

Lowering your heater will do nothing as it being set on 75 means it will not kick on until the water temperature gets below 75 which is a bit cold and will allow your tank to drop dramatically from 79

Your home temperature will play a large part on your system temperature.
Having tank near a window or not well insulated wall in your home can allow it to be sitting in a warmer part of the home which will keep temperature of the water closer to upper limits.
simple things like turning on a ceiling fan in the room to circulate air could help with the temperature.

How is the tank temperature at night vs day when the lights are on ?

Jeffp1986

Harlequin Tusk
I agree that 79 is not any reason for coral loss or undue stress.
Flow is very important in any marine tank and plenty is needed.

Lowering your heater will do nothing as it being set on 75 means it will not kick on until the water temperature gets below 75 which is a bit cold and will allow your tank to drop dramatically from 79

Your home temperature will play a large part on your system temperature.
Having tank near a window or not well insulated wall in your home can allow it to be sitting in a warmer part of the home which will keep temperature of the water closer to upper limits.
simple things like turning on a ceiling fan in the room to circulate air could help with the temperature.

How is the tank temperature at night vs day when the lights are on ?
I checked the temp around 11:30pm after light been out for awhile and temp was at 78.6.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
0.4 temp drop is nothing to worry about, My only question would be what was the temperature in the morning before lights come back on.
It can take longer than a couple of hours for the tank temp to drop to its lowest point.

Overall I would think your tank temp is fine and not any issue with loss of coral.
Flow can not be overstated in the importance arena

Jeffp1986

Harlequin Tusk
0.4 temp drop is nothing to worry about, My only question would be what was the temperature in the morning before lights come back on.
It can take longer than a couple of hours for the tank temp to drop to its lowest point.

Overall I would think your tank temp is fine and not any issue with loss of coral.
Flow can not be overstated in the importance arena
Light go off at 9:30 pm. When I left this morning at 4:30am temp was 78.5

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Everything I have read here sounds reasonable. I would not be worried about these temps. If anything concerns me, its that you are pushing 79 and its only April. Like stated above, once you start approach 84, you will want to seek relief. A reverse lighting schedule would help with that if you have to go that far.

Jeffp1986

Harlequin Tusk
Well I decided to just buy a new heater and see what happens and with the new one in and set to 74 like my old one temp is down to 75°. I'm guessing the settings were going bad and was staying hotter then what it was set at.

Typlus5

Neon Goby
LARC Supporter
If your using the heater temp controller I’d also consider an added layer of protection form an external controller. Ranco makes a trusted model.
Heater catastrophes are common in this hobby and an additional controller is a great price of mind. The issue with heaters are the contact get stuck “on” all too often and end up cooking your tank. Something to consider as you progress on your reefing journey.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Agree with @Typlus5 . Far better to have a cheap heater on a trusty controller than an expensive heater with built-in controls. I also prefer multiple smaller heaters over one large one. If one small heater fails one, it will raise the temps enough to catch your attention, but not enough to cook the tank.

Heaters failing off is not a concern in Louisiana, save north of Shreveport in a Jan-Feb time frame.