This hobby is hard enough under normal conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I currently have my 90 which has been running for about 2.5 years. Has been growing SPS well for the last year or so. Have invested a decent amount on some frags to start growing for when my 210 was ready. Things were really starting to hit their stride. Then we lost power. For the last 2 and a half days been running on generator power. Haven’t had lights running and have struggled to keep temp below 81. Skimmer has been on and off but recently can’t get it to run right. Maybe because of generator power? Fish seem to be doing ok for now but seems a tad agitated. Coral not looking too hot. 2 frags have started to stn/ rtn. Don’t know what to do as this outage will be going on for a while it seems. It’s hard enough when you don’t have all the extra factors playing against you. Toss in the heat and no lights and you have a potential disaster. Hope everyone else is fairing better.

Vincewd

Peppermint Shrimp
I feel your pain, been on generators since Sunday night, I can live with that .it’s the gas hunting that’s a pain for me.
2016 lost everything when the house flooded. South Louisiana can be rough during hurricane season.
I wish all the best of luck

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
I went and bought a portable ac unit that rolls around on wheels. I have in in the living room next to the tank with all the doors closed off. It keeps the room around 70ish. I run the lights half of the time just to give the corals some light. Only things I have running on the generator is the tank minus the skimmer, ac unit, phones, and the refrigerator. Generator burns about 4 gallons every 10 hours or so. Best of luck hope everything turns out ok

Stoned

Flame Wrasse
LARC Supporter
POTQ Winner
POTM Winner
I have a few frozen bottles of water. When I run my lights I float one in the tank to help with temp. It completely melts in about 20-30 minutes. Also, when the temp in house drops at night and the house is cool. Running a fan in the window helps pull the cool air in.. it got down to 76 degrees last night.. I shut the windows when the temp starts to go up. Keeping the house cool a little while longer and not letting hot air in.

Last edited:

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Bought a couple small window units and a larger generator. Able to keep the tank and house at or close to 79. Am going through about 10 gallons of fuel every 24 hrs. Started making some road trips to get fuel. Where is everyone getting fuel from? Those of you in BR, power back on for most? Is there fuel or is it like St. Tammany/ Jefferson Parrish where lines are extremely long?

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
Bought a couple small window units and a larger generator. Able to keep the tank and house at or close to 79. Am going through about 10 gallons of fuel every 24 hrs. Started making some road trips to get fuel. Where is everyone getting fuel from? Those of you in BR, power back on for most? Is there fuel or is it like St. Tammany/ Jefferson Parrish where lines are extremely long?
There is fuel in St. Tammany but you are going to sit in line for a while to get it. It's more of a ride but Gulfport and picayune have gas with little to no wait times at the pump

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
There is fuel in St. Tammany but you are going to sit in line for a while to get it. It's more of a ride but Gulfport and picayune have gas with little to no wait times at the pump

I got the generator from Lafayette and they had fuel with no line but didn’t want to drive that far if I didn’t have to. An hour ride to get gas isn’t a big deal as most people are waiting in lines that take longer to just get to the pump. Was hoping to find some close to Baton Rouge if it’s there.

LsuHunter

Peppermint Shrimp
Baton Rouge is still really bad. I would say over half if not much much more still don’t have power and when you factor in the surrounding areas it gets way worse. Gonzales and Prairieville mostly don’t have power. Denham, Watson and Hammond have zero power. Barely any gas stations in Baton Rouge have gas and the lines are absurd. Hoping by the weekend that changes a bit and I can keep you updated if it does improve.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Baton Rouge is still really bad. I would say over half if not much much more still don’t have power and when you factor in the surrounding areas it gets way worse. Gonzales and Prairieville mostly don’t have power. Denham, Watson and Hammond have zero power. Barely any gas stations in Baton Rouge have gas and the lines are absurd. Hoping by the weekend that changes a bit and I can keep you updated if it does improve.
Thanks for the update. Didn’t realize that much of BR was out. Haven’t seen much news since the storm. For now I guess I’ll be heading towards Lafayette and see if I can find any a little closer.

LsuHunter

Peppermint Shrimp
I wonder if 190 from Port Allen towards Opelousas would have some. I drove back on it Saturday before the storm and gas lines were normal. Might be a better alternative than all the way to Lafayette but its a guessing game.

91mini

Detritus
POTQ Winner
Does anyone know of a store between Baton Rouge and Hammond that has battery operated bubblers?

LsuHunter

Peppermint Shrimp
Try calling Academy at the Juban exit in Denham, I believe that shopping center has power. They will be in the fishing section next to the nets for keeping bait alive.

The GOB

Blue Ring Octopus
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Our power in BR just came back on. Have a whole home generator so it wasn't that bad other than worrying it would crap out. Not looking forward to the natural gas section on my next Entergy bill.

My in-laws whole home gen caught on fire after my father in law tried changing the oil while it was running- still works though. The engine on my parents GE whole home gen seized up after my dad allegedly "just checked the oil." They had a new Briggs and Stratton brought in which seized up in under 24 hours. They had a Kohler installed today, hopefully my dad learned his lesson and leaves maintenance to the pros.

merlinr26

Harlequin Tusk
Our power in BR just came back on. Have a whole home generator so it wasn't that bad other than worrying it would crap out. Not looking forward to the natural gas section on my next Entergy bill.

My in-laws whole home gen caught on fire after my father in law tried changing the oil while it was running- still works though. The engine on my parents GE whole home gen seized up after my dad allegedly "just checked the oil." They had a new Briggs and Stratton brought in which seized up in under 24 hours. They had a Kohler installed today, hopefully my dad learned his lesson and leaves maintenance to the pros.
Must be a dad thing. My dad fried half the house by hooking the generator up wrong to the main panel coming into the house.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Made the trip to Lafayette this morning to get gas and another portable ac unit. Was able to fill up my truck and 30gallons of cans to keep me going for a few more days. However it wasn’t as easy as It was a few days ago. Had to try about 10 different stations before I found one with gas. Didn’t have to wait in line though. This has definitely turned into an adventure.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I saw a lot more gas stations in Baton Rouge with power today. They just need to be refilled and lines should go down a bit.
Hoping that’s the case. There is only 1 in Mandeville with gas and you can imagine the line. There is a few in the surrounding areas but not nearly enough for the residents here.

Getting that second a/c was definitely worth it. I also have 2 liter and gallon jugs I freeze to put in the sump. Was able to get both my tanks temp down below 79. Huge improvement over the last couple of days where sometimes I flirted with 83. Hoping to at least get an estimated restoration time from Cleco by this weekend. The worst part about this is not knowing when.