This hobby is hard enough under normal conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Agree, it takes a community. This hobby has a high upfront cost, involves a lot of complicated science and biology and you have to keep your head on a swivel and your observations sharp…and thats before natural disasters take a hold.

Life in Louisiana is also hard. Life here except for the last 50-80 years is not for the faint of heart. Even just in recent history, we have had several major hurricanes, heat waves, a severe cold snap, a few tornadoes and a depressed economy over reliant on tourism, service and oil. Go before this timeline and throw in all kinds of diseases that thankfully don’t exist here anymore. Past only gets more difficult and controversial as you go back further. We are the descendants of our past survivors. We will continue to do that as will our kids.

Several people from all over the country have asked if I was ready or why we didn't leave or why we don't move. I show them pictures of what I have setup. Its not magic. These are all the same essentials we setup as kids and our parents setup when they were kids. We do this every year and will keep doing it every year in the future. It actually blows my mind how many people dont prepare for disasters, here and elsewhere. If we can survive the harsh Louisiana landscape, we can do a reef tank. As to the last question, because this is home and where I stay is where I will keep a reef tank.

Thats my opinion on the matter.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I can deal with the occasional hurricanes in Louisiana as long as your prepared. Beats some of the other problems in other parts of the country. I for one couldn’t deal with months of snow, earthquakes, mudslides or tornadoes (not the occasional EF-0’s/ waterspouts we get). At least you have time to prepare for a hurricane to some extent. I like having, on average, one of the cheapest gas prices in the country, fresh seafood and mild winters. I’ll stick to staying here.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Dont forget the wildfires, they even get fire tornadoes