Tideline 62 Lagoon AIO

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
The KP Rock? They seem to have been hammered by COVID. I seem to recall right before my tank cracked, they had no fish in stock and minimum inverts in stock. I ordered rock from them and it came in poorly shipped with a lot of die off. Philip agreed to replace the rock, but that was when the tank cracked. Still tankless at the moment with what I could save being housed in a few small tanks. 2-1/2 years now ugh.
No I ordered from ARC reef. They are based in Miami

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
skimmer running in the video from what I can tell seems to be about right for break in period.
some skimmers need a break in period while others not so much.
Think it's more to do with how clean the materials are before use, most times just a good rinse in vinegar water is good enough to remove any manufacturing oils or the like that may drive the skimmer nuts for a while.

With added life / rock and such to the tank the skimmer will need to be adjusted and dialed in.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Live rock from ARC Reef is in and we are up and running. Have my Radion’s set at 25% for now. Should I slowly get it up to where I want it to be or is it ok to start it out higher? Will check Ammonia levels over the next week or so to see where it’s at, but hoping I can add fish in the next couple weeks. Still need to add some more flow. Got some temporary wavemakers to keep the water moving
Stocking plan will include mostly fairy and flasher wrasse, a yellow and leopard wrasse, tail spot blenny and a Kole Tang from my other tank. Coral we be mostly Acros and a few LPS sprinkled in.
BD5090BB-74A6-450A-91F6-B65B958553C9.jpeg
9E62E980-D899-4ED2-9EE6-70279B1FC8EE.jpeg
3EF9A5AF-7DB2-4409-A544-D3AF85ED08AB.jpeg

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I really like this setup. Do you have a screen top for it? Fairy and flasher wrasses like to jump.
Thanks I like the shallow tanks. Makes it easy to work in. I will be building a screen top for now but plan on getting a custom one made in the future.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Have started noticing a few tiny aptasia popping up from the live rock. Also, started getting a little hair algae growing. Will get some crabs and snails to hopefully keep the algae at bay. Might try some peppermint shrimp for the aptasia if I can find them locally, otherwise may try a long nose butterfly. What’s everyone’s experience with getting rid of aptasia?

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Have started noticing a few tiny aptasia popping up from the live rock. Also, started getting a little hair algae growing. Will get some crabs and snails to hopefully keep the algae at bay. Might try some peppermint shrimp for the aptasia if I can find them locally, otherwise may try a long nose butterfly. What’s everyone’s experience with getting rid of aptasia?
I had great success with berghia nudibranchs years ago. I would only recommend those when you have a large infestation. I would try the shrimp first. Since you don't have coral in there yet, I wonder if you could keep a filefish in there for a few months and pass it on. Before the nudibranchs, I tried one that ate aiptasia. I had to get rid of it after it started eating all the tenticles off my LPS. The aiptasia did bounce back. I do not belive the fish messes with SPS.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I had great success with berghia nudibranchs years ago. I would only recommend those when you have a large infestation. I would try the shrimp first. Since you don't have coral in there yet, I wonder if you could keep a filefish in there for a few months and pass it on. Before the nudibranchs, I tried one that ate aiptasia. I had to get rid of it after it started eating all the tenticles off my LPS. The aiptasia did bounce back. I do not belive the fish messes with SPS.
I added 3 small peppermints and they have been successful hunting them down so far. I do still see one aptasia that’s a little larger they haven’t touched yet. Hope they take care of it but can always superglue the hole it’s in if not. File fish would be an option if all else failed. Don’t think I’m in a bad situation with them but wanted to take care of it before It got out of hand.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
So never had any ammonia spike. Seems I’ve avoided any real cycle with the live rock. After testing my nutrients, a few days after adding the last bit of rocks, phosphate was really high at .23 but nitrates were at 0. Left it for a few days then did a large water change. Algae had started to take over until I added about 15 astrea snails and 4 small trochus snails. They were making some good progress but wanted to knock it out faster so today I added 6 large trochus and 2 Mexican turbos. Should have it cleared up in a couple days. Want to get the lights ramped up to where they need to be to but need to get a handle on the nutrients and algae first.
I also bought a small yellow wrasse today for this system, which is now in QT. Have a bowl of sand in the tank but guess it didn’t recognize it so its sleeping on the bottom of the tank tonight. Hope to get him through quickly with no issues.