Tupes' JBJ AIO 65 build

Users who are viewing this thread

Tupes

Clarion Angel
Administrator
LARC Supporter
20180316_174106.jpg 20180324_081208.jpg 20180325_232950.jpg 20180325_232934.jpg 20180331_045420.jpg 20180408_042350.jpg 20180408_175852.jpg 20180411_201116.jpg 20180407_105236.jpg 20180407_111210.jpg 20180408_190438.jpg Some of you know i was planning on doing a large upgrade from a 70 to a 180. After starting to plan it my wife and I have decided when i do that, it would look better if it would be built in a wall. Being i dont have the roo. For something like that now I'm planning on going a different route. Many of you have seen my current setup. Its a 75 that was originally a freshwater setup that i converted. I have had it set up about 5 +/- years i have never had a sump or fancy equipment. Only equipment i used was a Coral Connection protien skimmer and a hob 110 aquaclear that i would put chemipure in from time to time. And 5 gallon buckets for regular water changes. I would do about 15 gallons every 3-4 weeks. I have only had a max of 6-7 small fish so water quality was never really an issue. With work being so busy lately and a tank crash i had a few months ago i got a bit burnt out.

So Im wanting to get excited again so im planning another tank. It will be one of the following two.

Im looking for those who have any comments or advise for these.

1st up is a JBJ 45 rimless

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27974

And 2nd is the Nuvo Fusion 40

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...-Innovative_Marine-0I10444-FIAQNCNTOF-vi.html

Gear:
Tank- JBJ RL-65 FLAT panel
Stand- custom built
Light- JBJ Orion SL-140
Controller- Apex Classic
Auto feeder- Ehiem
Power head- Vortech MP10* / jaebo / gyre*
ATO- T
unze ATO
Rock- Caribsea Life Rock
Sand- Tropic Edin Reef Flakes

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Actual build details:
Gear:
Tank- JBJ RL-65 FLAT panel
Return pump- RO VarioS2
Stand- Custom built
Light- JBJ Orion SL-140
Controller- Apex Classic
Auto feeder- Ehiem
Power head- Maxspect 230 gyre
ATO- Tunze 3155 ATO
Topoff tank- Standard 10G tank
Rock- Caribsea Life Rock
Sand- Tropic Edin Reef Flakes

Macro algea in back chamber with an IM Cheatomaxx Grow Light

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I would personally consider these two equals in quality and features, except for one detail. The only difference I see is the Nuvo has a compartment that will accommodate skimmers where the JBJ does not. I'm sure there are some that will fit and you might need to check out what others have done on the big boards. But with that difference, I would lean to the Nuvo.

Tupes

Clarion Angel
Administrator
LARC Supporter
@clsanchez77 i have found a good range of skinmers for both. This is a difficult decision.

@bmac16 thanks for the YouTube recommendation. Ive watched several of his videos and have seen that can be an awesome looking tank. He had a great rockscape also. Thats one of the things im trying to consider also is having the space to have a nice scape.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

Tupes

Clarion Angel
Administrator
LARC Supporter
@helldiver thanks for pointing that out to me. I saw the larger one and liked it because of the pump it came with but when i saw it listed for 199 I changed my mind. So this one listed for 99. This will be the one im going to get.

helldiver

Flasher Wrasse
LARC Supporter
Yw if need be u can change the pump later
I thnk there is no better ATO than the Tunze
Sorry Coral Vue I love your products.
Reef Octpus Skimmers are the best especially the ones with gate valves

helldiver

Flasher Wrasse
LARC Supporter
You
I have never used this but from what I have seen it comes with the highest of all ATO recommendations across several boards.

I use a 50 ml/min dosing pump on my Apex because I drip Kalk. The Tunze would blow the kalk out my reactor :D
You can. Adjust the fl9w rate on the tunze like having more frequencies

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
There are 2 reserved outlets reserved for ato and dosing pumps. So reserve those outlets

The two outlets on the far right, No 4 and No 8, are mechanical relays and suitable for any low wattage items. Dosing pumps are the most common usage. Also, if you purchase expansion energy bars, the 4 outlet energy bar is all mechanical relays. The advantage is they do dosing pumps and other small items. The disadvantage is they do have a finite number of on/off's they can cycle.

The other outlets (1-3 and 5-7) are electrical diodes that have infinite cycling capability, but do not work under very small loads.

CenlaReefer

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
LARC Supporter
Is it possible to use a peristaltic-type pump with either of the ATO devices mentioned by Tupes? I would like to try the Aqua Gadget Hydrofill from Innovative Marine. Here they are again from Tupes:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-titanium-hydrofill-ato-controller-innovative-marine.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-120p-auto-top-off-system-autoaqua.html

I do not like having a pump immersed in Kalkwasser solution. It is terrible abuse on a pump. I like how the solution never comes in contact with the liquid for the peristaltic pumps. Still, I wonder if the solution would tend to clog the lines, especially if there is a slow drip rate. Kalkwasser seems prone to do that.

I am tempted to estimate my evaporation rate and use a peristaltic pump to drip at that rate; however, I know that would need to be modified, depending on room humidity. Factors such as running dry heat from my central unit during the winter really speeds-up evaporation.

Last edited:

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Is it possible to use a peristaltic-type pump with either of the ATO devices mentioned by Tupes? I would like to try the Aqua Gadget Hydrofill from Innovative Marine. Here they are again from Tupes:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-titanium-hydrofill-ato-controller-innovative-marine.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-120p-auto-top-off-system-autoaqua.html

I do not like having a pump immersed in Kalkwasser solution. I like how the solution never comes in contact with the liquid for the peristaltic pumps. Still, I wonder if the solution would tend to clog the lines, especially if there is a slow drip rate. Kalkwasser seems prone to do that.

I am tempted to estimate my evaporation rate and use a peristaltic pump to drip at that rate; however, I know that would need to be modified, depending on room humidity. Factors such as running dry heat from my central unit during the winter really speeds-up evaporation.

I use two ATO 50 ml/min peristaltic pumps. I have them set using the OSC command in my Apex so that I add 1 gallon of RO/DI per day and 1/2 gallon of RO/DI through my kalk reactor per day. They cycle 24 times a day (hourly). I never did install my floats and the level in my sump has never fluctuated more than 2" up or down. I do plan to add floats to shut off or force on. Been setup since August this way.

CenlaReefer

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
LARC Supporter
I use two ATO 50 ml/min peristaltic pumps. I have them set using the OSC command in my Apex so that I add 1 gallon of RO/DI per day and 1/2 gallon of RO/DI through my kalk reactor per day. They cycle 24 times a day (hourly). I never did install my floats and the level in my sump has never fluctuated more than 2" up or down. I do plan to add floats to shut off or force on. Been setup since August this way.
What brand pumps? Does the output line for the one running kalk ever clog? What would happen to the pump if it did?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
What brand pumps? Does the output line for the one running kalk ever clog? What would happen to the pump if it did?

BRS Top Off Doser 50ml/min

If she's clogging up, then you are doing it wrong - switch her from suck to blow! Sucking in kalk water is a bad idea. Mine sucks clear RO/DI and dumps it into a kalk reactor, the kalk reactor gravity discharges into my sump just above the return pump. I keep a power head in there so it is immediately dispersed and I don't get the crust on top.

If you are mixing the kalk into your ATO container, you need to keep it at or below saturation and not have any solids in the bottom...you want clear liquid only. This will prevent clogging.