Uv sterilizer

Users who are viewing this thread

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
Bacterial bloom and algae bloom happened and I haven't been able to see in my tank over a week. Anyone have a uv sterilizer they could sell?

Attachments

• 20210429_100316.jpg
    20210429_100316.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18

Lazyfish

Black Perc
Wow! Im.so sory! I dont have a sterilizer I hope you can find one. Have you dosed anything that could have contributed? Fuel, aminos?

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Last time I seen a bloom that bad in a reef tank was a two fold issue of unfiltered water (or bad RODI ) and too much light from windows with tank being way too new.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Do the blooms get worse with higher water volumes?

If you are meaning larger tank volume, Yes in my experience it was larger tanks near more direct sunlight that fueled a severe outbreak.
One tank was around 90 to 100 gallons and the issue was well water being used. After the green water cleared up with water change and the tank was around two months old the rust orange /brown algae outbreak happened from higher levels of iron in the well water.
Another tank was a 180 where the RODI unit was not producing clean water and the situation was ripe for green water production made worse by a extremely long photo period with lighting.

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
If you are meaning larger tank volume, Yes in my experience it was larger tanks near more direct sunlight that fueled a severe outbreak.
One tank was around 90 to 100 gallons and the issue was well water being used. After the green water cleared up with water change and the tank was around two months old the rust orange /brown algae outbreak happened from higher levels of iron in the well water.
Another tank was a 180 where the RODI unit was not producing clean water and the situation was ripe for green water production made worse by a extremely long photo period with lighting.
This is a 600 gallon its been running for about 5 months. It doesn't have any direct sunlight. I added fish about a month ago. Using city water with ro/di I will check my tds today and see if that's the issue.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
This is a 600 gallon its been running for about 5 months. It doesn't have any direct sunlight. I added fish about a month ago. Using city water with ro/di I will check my tds today and see if that's the issue.

Any chance something could have gotten into your tank recently from house being open or from another source ?

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
One week of running a uv sterilizer. Tank went from green to white. I'm starting to be able to see my rocks. I've also been dosing algae remover every 3 days.

Attachments

• 20210508_013636.jpg
    20210508_013636.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 11

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

Do you get your water from City of Slidell or from a well? I ask as Slidell recently changed their city water from chlorine to chloramines. The difference is detrimental to RO membranes and will allow higher TDS breakthrough into the DI resins, which are then consumed quickly. The insult to injury is your water is already high in naturally occurring ammonia, which is not good for DI resin. The treatment is to use specialty carbon prefilter cartridges designed for chloramines and double up on them as their removal efficiency is only 85%.

When DI resin starts to exhaust, the first ions allows through are ammonium and silicate. Since Slidell water naturally has ammonia, I suspect that is what you are getting. If you are getting TDS breakthrough on the system, test the treated water for ammonia. It will be a low number. Perhaps the concentration is too small to be detectible, but from volume, its potentially adding up and potentially fueling your algae.

The city made this change about 1-2 years ago, and degradation to the RO membrane would not be immediate, so this timeframe appears to fit.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
One week of running a uv sterilizer. Tank went from green to white. I'm starting to be able to see my rocks. I've also been dosing algae remover every 3 days.

Nice recovery. Slow and steady will be necessary to not kill invertebrate life.

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
Do you get your water from City of Slidell or from a well? I ask as Slidell recently changed their city water from chlorine to chloramines. The difference is detrimental to RO membranes and will allow higher TDS breakthrough into the DI resins, which are then consumed quickly. The insult to injury is your water is already high in naturally occurring ammonia, which is not good for DI resin. The treatment is to use specialty carbon prefilter cartridges designed for chloramines and double up on them as their removal efficiency is only 85%.

When DI resin starts to exhaust, the first ions allows through are ammonium and silicate. Since Slidell water naturally has ammonia, I suspect that is what you are getting. If you are getting TDS breakthrough on the system, test the treated water for ammonia. It will be a low number. Perhaps the concentration is too small to be detectible, but from volume, its potentially adding up and potentially fueling your algae.

The city made this change about 1-2 years ago, and degradation to the RO membrane would not be immediate, so this timeframe appears to fit.
City water of folsom