Water change

Users who are viewing this thread

merlinr26

Neon Goby
Anyone doing a decent size water change around chalmette/new orleans area? Looking to jump start the cycle process or maybe even bypass it. Looking to get anywhere from 20gal to 40gal. Any help would be awesome

The GOB

Blue Dot Stingray
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Cured rock will do infinitely more good in regards to a cycle compared to used water. The amount of beneficial bacteria in the water column is negligible. Being said, I change 20-50 gallons every Saturday which you're welcome to but I'm in BR.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I agree ''seeded'' water is not something I would ever use unless it was my own water going into another tank of mine.
Its usually a good way to pick up on unwanted things like dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria and other fish parasites or disease.

You would be far better off getting someone to seed some of your rock for a month or so in the sump so it gathers bacteria and microfauna
just be sure that the system you use is not housing Aiptasia or flatworms and the like.

merlinr26

Neon Goby
I agree ''seeded'' water is not something I would ever use unless it was my own water going into another tank of mine.
Its usually a good way to pick up on unwanted things like dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria and other fish parasites or disease.

You would be far better off getting someone to seed some of your rock for a month or so in the sump so it gathers bacteria and microfauna
just be sure that the system you use is not housing Aiptasia or flatworms and the like.
Thank you for this. I will look more toward the rock.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Thank you for this. I will look more toward the rock.

You could also do some of those media blocks seeding in someone's sump for a few weeks which will help stabilize your system much like having live rock.
Real established live rock can not be beat for a stable system time wise, though there are things we can do to mimic that to an extent.