Wave makers for 600 gallon

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
Setting up a new 600 gallon tank and need advice on wave makers. I’ve been out the hobby a few years and this tank is over twice the size of my last one. Tank has bulk heads all along the back and the bottom of tank. Would it be better to plum it with an ocean motion or use wave maker power heads? And if so could you recommend any? It’s a 4x8 tank
CF81590A-A947-4C16-A221-F9C2E2563DC4.jpeg

Attachments

• A964AACB-055D-476E-A9DD-FFB70EF861CC.jpeg
    A964AACB-055D-476E-A9DD-FFB70EF861CC.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 7

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I think you're gonna need some MP-60s for adequate flow. I'm sure Jebao, Tunze, Gyre, etc. make wavemakers with similar water flow if you want to use a less expensive brand.

Cigmin

Bangaii Cardinal
on a tank that big I am sure you would configure some on the back wall? would some gyre work for that? I am more curious myself

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Panta Rheis are silly expensive but they move massive amounts of water.-- https://uniquecorals.com/collections/panta-rhei

I would second these pumps for a tank this size, Yes the cost is quite higher than some would ever want to spend though you have to realize the size tank you are setting up and the cost of Multiple other brand power heads needed for flow.

Depending on rock work and species you want to keep you may end up buying gyre 280's or other style pumps to supplement flow in the future.

I would IF this were my build and had the bulkheads already on the back would do some Varios pumps connected in closed loop through Apex control for high flow front to back. Programming a few varios pumps can get you endless current actions.
Hopefully the bulkheads on this tank are large and the ones on the back panel that appear to be for closed loop are no less than 1 inch, with inch and a half better to maximize flow from closed loop pumps.

CharterMan

Cleaner Shrimp
I would second these pumps for a tank this size, Yes the cost is quite higher than some would ever want to spend though you have to realize the size tank you are setting up and the cost of Multiple other brand power heads needed for flow.

Depending on rock work and species you want to keep you may end up buying gyre 280's or other style pumps to supplement flow in the future.

I would IF this were my build and had the bulkheads already on the back would do some Varios pumps connected in closed loop through Apex control for high flow front to back. Programming a few varios pumps can get you endless current actions.
Hopefully the bulkheads on this tank are large and the ones on the back panel that appear to be for closed loop are no less than 1 inch, with inch and a half better to maximize flow from closed loop pumps.
There’s 2 on the back towards the bottom left that are 1 1/2” the other 4 across the back are 1”. There are also 6 or 8 I can’t remember all over the bottom of the tank. All of those are 1”. For sure there’s one in each corner then I believe 4 that run all the way across about 6 inches from the front glass.