Wazzel's mostly SPS 120 - take 3 - Cypress edition

Users who are viewing this thread

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
That is awesome. I usually say, when an engineer makes the news, it's not good.

wazzel

White Tip Reef Shark
The tank did not fare well during the Texas blizzard. We were out of power for two days. I was prepared for a power outage with battery powered air stones and fans, but not a cold one. Tank was in the mid 50's when the power came back on. Not sure if it had gotten lower. Lost all my fish, except for 1 - a yellow tang. All the acros toasted right away, monties took a day or two to die off. My big Dersa gave it up yesterday. Hoping the LPS and zoanthids I have make it so I have something to help fund the rebuild. I used up a bucket and a half of salt doing water changes. At one point there was so much dead stuff in the water I could not see the back of the tank. Things look to be stable-ish now.

My plan is to let it run as is until April then start rebuilding.

Grabloids

CrossHatch Trigger
The tank did not fare well during the Texas blizzard. We were out of power for two days. I was prepared for a power outage with battery powered air stones and fans, but not a cold one. Tank was in the mid 50's when the power came back on. Not sure if it had gotten lower. Lost all my fish, except for 1 - a yellow tang. All the acros toasted right away, monties took a day or two to die off. My big Dersa gave it up yesterday. Hoping the LPS and zoanthids I have make it so I have something to help fund the rebuild. I used up a bucket and a half of salt doing water changes. At one point there was so much dead stuff in the water I could not see the back of the tank. Things look to be stable-ish now.

Man, thats terrible! Sorry to hear that. Good luck on the rebuild hope it turns out better than before

oimate842005

Reefers Anonymous
Global Moderator
LARC Supporter
Sorry to hear that :( I also was blindsided by this freeze but lucked out with power off for 6hrs compared to days...I know for me I put most of my tank emergency effort on situations dealing with hurricane season but did not anticipate a snow/ice storm with a total different sets of problems such as keeping the tank temperature up. Glad to hear you're continuing with the hobby though, it takes a lot to come back after cleaning up the mess these storms have caused.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

Sorry to hear that Mark. I don't think I would have done any better. Like you, I have the battery backups and even a small generator. If lost power in a winter storm, all I would have for heat is a small fireplace. Good for the family, but can't really lug the tank over there too. In my last tank crash, over a year ago, I have found I have been able to nurse back my zoanthids and LPS. No luck with any SPS, not that I kept much of them though.