Weird pairing

Users who are viewing this thread

dwebster86

Ko-Ko Worm
POTY Winner
POTM Winner
So I have 2 Diamond Watchmen gobies to clean my sand, 1 is bigger than the other, they kinda take opposite sides of the tank. I also have a yellow watchmen goby, hes pretty tiny compared to both, but the smaller diamond goby has seemed to have paired with the yellow watchmen goby, they hardly ever leave each other, both using the same cove that the diamond dug out beneath one of my rocks. Hell seen them both kinda ontop of another lol.

Kinda curious if this is even a possible bonding of a yellow watchmen goby and a diamond watchman? Different species.

Lloyd Williams

CrossHatch Trigger
So I have 2 Diamond Watchmen gobies to clean my sand, 1 is bigger than the other, they kinda take opposite sides of the tank. I also have a yellow watchmen goby, hes pretty tiny compared to both, but the smaller diamond goby has seemed to have paired with the yellow watchmen goby, they hardly ever leave each other, both using the same cove that the diamond dug out beneath one of my rocks. Hell seen them both kinda ontop of another lol.

Kinda curious if this is even a possible bonding of a yellow watchmen goby and a diamond watchman? Different species.

I’m rather curious myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Kinda curious if this is even a possible bonding of a yellow watchmen goby and a diamond watchman?

Comes down to the drinks and music. Don't go cheap!

Different species.
Different species is "technically" not the issue as interspecies hybrids are natural; see Townsend Angelfish for an example. Usually the issue in regards to interspecies mating is that the different species inhabit in different regions, biotopes, niches, etc. But if the species overlap in any regard, I guaranty you they will not turn down some reproduction time.

The issue is when you get into different genus, then it scientifically is not possible. While both of these fish are "watchmen gobies" in the hobby, yet scientifically, they come from different genus and therefore cannot mate. The fact that we just refer to them both as "watchmen gobies" is merely for convenance.

But then chef pulled it off with an elephant and a pot-bellied pig, so anything is possible.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I reread your post and realized you were asking about "bonding" lol. I leave the other response up though. Yes, this is very common among different species, especially juveniles. This is a form of defense for burrowing fish as with two fish, you can now watch for predators in two direction. This will stop as they get older though as there will be competition for food and mates, and for good food and mates, you need your own pad.

I have been looking into yellowhead jawfish a lot lately and there are certain fish they willingly will burrow with when not mating and other burrowing fish they will not tolerate anywhere near by. Its fascinating actually.

dwebster86

Ko-Ko Worm
POTY Winner
POTM Winner
I reread your post and realized you were asking about "bonding" lol. I leave the other response up though. Yes, this is very common among different species, especially juveniles. This is a form of defense for burrowing fish as with two fish, you can now watch for predators in two direction. This will stop as they get older though as there will be competition for food and mates, and for good food and mates, you need your own pad.

I have been looking into yellowhead jawfish a lot lately and there are certain fish they willingly will burrow with when not mating and other burrowing fish they will not tolerate anywhere near by. Its fascinating actually.
Ah Ok. That makes sense, almost like the pistol shrimp with goby.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
No, No, the first scientist that was wrapped in half was right, half man, half bear-pig