what to believe?

Users who are viewing this thread

BumpaBaaby

Black Perc
So today I had my water tested using Aquaspin at my LFS and here are my numbers that match NOTHING Hanna says.
Ca 378
pO4 .1
alk 10

Hanna says
PO4 .13
Ca 485
alk8.6

I dont know which test I should believe. Calcium is a biiiiiiiig difference. My coral looks good. Bill Murray changed in color from Pink and Lime green to just Lime green.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Not sure about an aquaspin, what reagents does this use ?
Is it just the magnetic beaker spinner ? If so then they used a certain type of test kit reagent that can be different than yours and may have botched the testing proceedure.

I would go off your Hana since that is what you are using regularly for your home testing.
If corals look good keep up with the stability you are creating for your tank.
Dont worry too much about the color of one sps in your tank as they have a tendency to change color from one tank to the next due to change in environment, present levels of elements being different along with a host of other variables such as lighting / intensity / schedule
It may color back up after a few months of being in your tank back to what it was OR it may morph into different colors.

BumpaBaaby

Black Perc
Not sure about an aquaspin, what reagents does this use ?
Is it just the magnetic beaker spinner ? If so then they used a certain type of test kit reagent that can be different than yours and may have botched the testing proceedure.

I would go off your Hana since that is what you are using regularly for your home testing.
If corals look good keep up with the stability you are creating for your tank.
Dont worry too much about the color of one sps in your tank as they have a tendency to change color from one tank to the next due to change in environment, present levels of elements being different along with a host of other variables such as lighting / intensity / schedule
It may color back up after a few months of being in your tank back to what it was OR it may morph into different colors.
there is some info on the web about Aquaspuin. I spoke with Hanna and one thing he asked was "when was their machine last calibrated?"

BumpaBaaby

Black Perc
Idc what Hanna says. Their test kit has got to be lying. So Wednesday I used Chemiclean . After I did a 25% water change yesterday. Checked calcium today and it said “551” how Sway?
I’m using RC at 1.025 SG

Last edited:

smileyjoe

Ko-Ko Worm
Administrator
POTM Winner
Idc what Hanna says. Their test kit has got to be lying. So Wednesday I used Chemiclean . After I did a 25% water change yesterday. Checked calcium today and it said “551” how Sway?
I’m using RC at 1.025 SG
What does you freshly mixed saltwater test out at with the big 3?

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Does either test kit come with a calibration solution? I personally only use test kit brands that come with them. Seachem, as cheap as it is, comes with calibration solution and I always found it to test spot on. I now use AquaForest and they also come with calibration vials. Get yourself one of these and then test the calibration sample with the other two test kits and see how they all fall.

Getting 470 and 480 on two back to back readings is actually really good. Testing water parameters is pretty damn complicated. The kits in this hobby make it look easy, but you really have to have everything exact if you want to reproduce results.

First off, our sample sizes are way too small. Did you fill the vial correctly with sample water? Was the sample at the bottom of the line, the middle or the top? The level of the meniscus makes a difference when dealing with such small samples.

You can skew the test results by getting a drop size wrong at any step. Were the dropper bottles perfectly vertical? When filling syringes, was all the air purged?

Was all the equipment rinsed after the last test with RO/DI water? If not, you could be including residuals from the last sample, which will increase the test results.

Was electronic testing equipment calibrated at each test?

These are just four examples on why reproducing test results is so hard. This is also the reason professional water testing is expensive. In the hobby, we use way too small water samples and don't follow any of the lab procedures used in industry....but expect the same precision and accuracy on the test kits....not possible.

Let the corals guide you, they know what they are doing :)

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
errors on our end are more times the cause vs the kit being inaccurate,
There is a great number of us who have at one time or another had to learn the hard way that the kits were fine, it was our method or lack of understanding in the directions / procedure that is/ was the issue.

I would go with contamination from residuals OR the kit needs to be checked - calibrated first.
My vials are all stored with vinegar after each test to ensure that they are getting cleaned and nothing can build up.
before using again I empty the vinegar and rinse in tap water to remove. After I rinse in tank water twice with 10 ml tank water then fill to needed ml and begin testing. Never had any issues with differing results unless I botch the procedure in one fashion or the next.

oimate842005

Reefers Anonymous
Global Moderator
LARC Supporter
Been having similar issues with my Trident giving one number and my hannah checker giving a much higher alk reading. Trident said 8.30 Dkh, Hannah says 9.2 Dkh after the ppm converstion. So I used my calibration solution that came with my trident regeants and tested both instruments, turned out the Hannah checker was the one off by almost 1 Dkh. I need to do what @BluewaterLa says about the vials though and start cleaning them regularly with some acetone or vinegar.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Been having similar issues with my Trident giving one number and my hannah checker giving a much higher alk reading. Trident said 8.30 Dkh, Hannah says 9.2 Dkh after the ppm converstion. So I used my calibration solution that came with my trident regeants and tested both instruments, turned out the Hannah checker was the one off by almost 1 Dkh. I need to do what @BluewaterLa says about the vials though and start cleaning them regularly with some acetone or vinegar.

I have used many test kits over the years and several all at the same time to compare them.
What I have found is that there are differences in the reagents along with testing procedures and ALL of them are different from one another in results we get with the same water.
For example right now I have on hand all Red Sea pro kits and most all of the Geissmann kits. Using both carefully testing each element I will get either lower or higher results between the two name brands for the same tank water and or new mixed saltwater.
My DKH test kits are used more than others and can say without a doubt the difference between the two name brand kits is the Geissmann will read a full 1 DKH higher than the Red Sea Pro kit

There are many variables at play here just with the test kits themselves and how they interpret the end result. Not to mention human error or our own interpretation of the end result.
It is much better to pick a brand and get comfortable using it correctly, thus maintaining the desired result in a stable manner according to this chosen test kit.
Truth is my tank may be reading its 7 DKH when in reality it could be 7.5 OR as high as 8 DKH. To this matter it is not a negative affect on my tank since my corals are not only growing well, my PH is maintaining a high value and the mortality rate of my corals or frags is almost zero through a period of years. My end result is keeping the tank parameters at levels of my personal testing and where my tank has settled to be most robust for my corals to grow, maintain health and thrive.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
My honest opinion without any brand boy affiliation of any kind would be that the Red Sea pro kits have been the closest match or exact to ICP testing and testing against known salt brands that are consistent in the parameters they claim.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I need to do what @BluewaterLa says about the vials though and start cleaning them regularly with some acetone or vinegar.

When I do testing, I have a cup of RO/DI straight from the RO/DI tap and another cup to receive waste/rinse water. Everything is rinsed twice immediately after use. Seems excessive, but takes almost no additional time to do, only a wasted cup of water on top of the many gallons I go through each week. I can get my test results within a drop of each other each time. I probably take far more time to perform each test than most LOL, but my results are good. Having said that, I probably only test monthly or biweekly on average.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
My honest opinion without any brand boy affiliation of any kind would be that the Red Sea pro kits have been the closest match or exact to ICP testing and testing against known salt brands that are consistent in the parameters they claim.

Good to now. So what is your brand boy affiliated opinion :D