What's Up with This

Users who are viewing this thread

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
What am I missing here ,, seeing how I am soon to get my tank top back ,, I started looking at vendors sites to put a game plan together to buy the Wrasses I want for my tank ,, its not like I am looking for rare fish in the hobby ,,

Flame Wrasse
Golden Rhomboidlais Wrasse
Magma Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Scott's Fairy Wrasse
another Flasher Wrasse or two

Live Aquari has the Flame and Magma everything else out of stock

Fishy Business Aquatics has the Solon Fairy Wrasse and the Flame Wrasse but its a female ,, everything else out of stock

NY Aquatic has the Magma and nothing else on the list

That's what these vendors do ,, sell fish ,, yet they have very little when it comes to Wrasse's ,, is it winter time in the countries they collect these fish from ,, the off season if you will for collecting fish ,, I guess if they are this hard to come by ,, if I get them and then ever take the tank down ,, I am going to ask a premium for the fish when I sell them :)

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Wrasses have been a pretty hot fish to have for a few years now and I know / see more folks than ever getting super giddy about collecting them.
Guess they are the new pokemans LOL.
This would be one reason why they are hit and miss from suppliers.

On the collection side its availability and ease of catching certain species, some areas are under stricter collection limits, some places got shut down and allowed to reopen so the supply may be a bit spotty.

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
IME; Fairy/flasher wrasses can be a real PITA. They are prone to flukes, and intestinal worms/internal flagellates. You can skip QT with them, as they have a thick slime coat which generally protects them from parasites, but if a few are in the gills then the wrasse could be the "Typhoid Mary" which infects all your other fish. They don't like bare bottom QT, so I always put a very light layer of sand on the bottom to make them feel more comfortable.

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Oh, and they're also prone to jumping (so you'll need a lid), and sometimes when they hit the lid that causes a spinal injury. '--*'

One time I had a Pintail come shooting out of the water like a bullet when I took the lid off, he hit the light with a bang, and then dead on the sand. A Halichoeres, Coris or Pseudocheilinus genus wrasse probably would have survived that IMO.

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
IME; Fairy/flasher wrasses can be a real PITA. They are prone to flukes, and intestinal worms/internal flagellates. You can skip QT with them, as they have a thick slime coat which generally protects them from parasites, but if a few are in the gills then the wrasse could be the "Typhoid Mary" which infects all your other fish. They don't like bare bottom QT, so I always put a very light layer of sand on the bottom to make them feel more comfortable.

This statement troubles me ,, I have been thinking of nothing else for the last few days :( I needed a few days to think it thru lol

Coral Fever has agreed to find a Purple Tang for me and run it thru their QT System ,, but after reading your thoughts on Wrasses ,, Coral Fever's QT Process for the Purple Tang ,, for me would be a waste of their time ,, my money and time traveling to pick the fish up and bring back home ,, unless they would agree to also run my ,, want to buy list of Wrasses ,, thru their system ,, which they have sort of suggested ,, that they don't normally run Wrasses thru their system ,, for the reasons you gave above ,, the thick slime coat ,,

If I were just wanting to add 1 or 2 Wrasses to my tank ,, maybe ,,, and this isn't going to happen ,, I could take a chance that the 1 or 2 Wrasses would be healthy ,, pest free ,, fish ,, but this isn't the case ,, I am wanting to add 6 or 7 Wrasses to my system ,,, with that number of fish ,, my chances are pretty good that at least one of them would have a health issue ,, at the end of the day ,, I want to be putting healthy fish into my tank ,, that's not saying I won't have problems down the road ,, but I at least want to start out with healthy fish ,,

The way I see it I have two choices ,, get Coral Fever to buy the Wrasses I want as they can get them ,, run them thru their QT System ,, or ,, I just set up a QT Tank of my own ,, and treat my fish at the house ,, if this ends up being the case ,, I might as well buy my own Purple Tang ,, I need to talk with the owners of Coral Fever again ,, Its not that I am dead set against setting up a QT Tank and learning how to treat the fish I am wanting to get ,, and put healthy ,, pest free fish in my tank ,, Coral Fever already has a system set up ,, they know what they are doing ,,, I don't ,, it worth the money and travel time ,, to me ,, to use their resources ,, I sent Coral Fever a link to this post ,, will just have to see what they are willing to do for me ,,

Setting up this new tank has cost a grunch of $$ ,, pretty much the best of everything ,, I am not going to go cheap and put ,, maybe unhealthy fish into the tank,,

Oh,, I have a really nice tank top coming ,, apparently its not going to be this week though :(

Last edited:

Bigfish

Black Perc
It will take time to get all the wrasse you want, as no one vendor will have all on your list. I have 7 wrasse and it took me 8 months to complete my list. I’ve bought from LA and DD and have had losses from both. Absolute must to put thru QT. Also use and acclimation box to introduce new fish to DT, as this will lessen aggression once the new fish is released.

Bigfish

Black Perc
There is still one more I would like, a Vrolik wrasse. First one from LA was DOA. Ordered another and he did not eat, was in QT a month and offered everything, even went to NO to buy live black worms, no luck. I put him in DT hoping he would eat, but died 3 days later. Beautiful fish, he really stood out in tank.
I’m determined to get one thru QT and in DT.

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
There is still one more I would like, a Vrolik wrasse. First one from LA was DOA. Ordered another and he did not eat, was in QT a month and offered everything, even went to NO to buy live black worms, no luck. I put him in DT hoping he would eat, but died 3 days later. Beautiful fish, he really stood out in tank.

I've tried ordering those twice, and finally got one. He sailed through everything fine, it was just like quarantining a Melanarus. So, either I just got a good one or you got a bad one. It's a stunning wrasse. The red on the fins really makes it stand out from a regular Melanarus.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Prairie Dog

Black Perc
POTM Winner

I have one in my tank. Over a year. Very hardy. Easts like a pig. Very colorful.

Redfish

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
Update ,, Coral Fever is going to work with me on this ,, they have one of my want to buy Wrasses in QT at the moment :) Looking forward to a few road trips ,, will give me a reason to get out of town for a bit ,,