Wyld Zone group buy

Users who are viewing this thread

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I plan on ordering some slugs from the Wyld Zone. Let me know if anyone is interested. I would not mind having it sent to either my home, another local home, or even to Lafayette.

@Humblefish recommended this as a possibility to try out. I plan to get jellybean slugs (onchidella floridana). The website gives this description about these wonderful creatures:

"A very durable and unique slug capable of breathing air. This species will readily consume most algae including turf and bryopsis. This species is safe to handle outside of the water."

These can also reproduce well in home aquariums. I have been breeding trochus snails like gangbusters, so I plan to try these using an external breeding box at first.

Last edited:

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I forgot to include the link in this thread. Here it is:

Under "rare finds," they have Atlantic limpets & giant nerites. Does anyone here have experience with either? Perhaps I thought a larger limpet could etch glass. Is that true? These seem small. I want to give these 2 a try along with the jellybean slugs.

It seems even the most careful reefers will have to QT this CUC. This is from the website:

"Pest Free Promise

Our inverts and corals are bred in pest free stand alone tanks and all orders of algae and coral will be dipped thoroughly before shipping."

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Seems like they would be worth a shot for sure, if even they eat some little at a time I think they are worth the money for how neat they are.

On the Limpets, I read that they are Atlantic species.
Most Atlantic inverts are much more of a colder water species normally not doing very well in higher reef tank temperatures which either kills them quickly or shortens their lifespan from my experience.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Thanks, Mike. In that case, I plan to get just 2 jellybean slugs and perhaps 10 giant nerites for $4 ea. I plan to put a tiny air-driven breeder box on one tank to house the 2 slugs to allow them more opportunity to find each other and breed. This will also keep the emerald crabs from harassing them. I will put frags with algae in there feed them while they also clean them up for me. I did this sort of thing successfully years ago with berghai nudibranchs.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Opps. The giant nerites are Atlantic as well. I may just order the jellybean slugs to breed them. I was thinking of ordering really soon yet now I am more willing to wait a bit. Survivability may be better if we wait until it hopefully warms up a bit next month. It sure would be nice to have one or 2 other people to help share the overnight shipping.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I know this is expensive, yet one of my motivations to do this is to eventually save money. I spend a good bit of cash on emerald crabs. The longevity of these crabs have been somewhat poor. They also do not reproduce. I want a replacement CUC that is more self-sustaining over time. My trochus snails have been an OUTSTANDING investment!

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I would check the area of collection as temperatures in the Atlantic are much warmer say in southern Florida vs collection from the upper portion and states up northeast.
Mention this because I did not think to check where this company is located or where they collect from which would make a difference.

Few times in the past I have had some bad luck with inverts collected from cold water areas that never lived past a few days unless the tank temp was below 74
Recently a conservation group trying to rear a clam similar to native ones on our gulf coast were having trouble keeping the juveniles alive in excellent grow out tanks fed with natural water. Every time the water temperature got above 75 degrees the mortality rate would start to go up and with temperatures nearing 78 to 80 almost 100% would die off. This was related to the cold water Atlantic species of clam did not fare well at all with the temperatures of our coast. Took them a while to not only listen but to realize this was the reasoning behind the failures.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I am sure glad I did not rush this order. I asked a few questions using the "contact us" option. I am quoting this exchange below for our everyone's benefit:

My questions: "...Will... these [limpets & nerites] reproduce in the aquarium with the right condition?

I read ... about the jellybean slugs. Do emerald crabs go after them? I am not concerned about the other 2 because they have shells for defense."

Answer:
Atlantic limpets get about the size of a half dollar at their largest. However in nature or home aquariums you'll very rarely see it.
Sizes for limpets in stock will be whatever is available.

In the right conditions limpets and nerites will successfully breed. But even in my tanks dedicated to inverts it's not very easy. Nerites lay eggs all the time though, so it's definitely not impossible.
The giant nerites are pretty big, you can see them measured in the website pics. However I have a few other species of Atlantic nerite for wholesale and custom.
1. is the bleeding tooth nerite which stay in the tank more and generally have prettier shells. These are pretty popular with the Reef Collective crowd. They always want them.

2. Checkered nerites. They are the same in every way as the giants but they don't get giant as quickly and they have black and white checkerboard shells.

I also have sizes form nano- large with those

Emeralds will eat the slugs. They'll eat coral, inverts, other emeralds, shrimp and macros too. I will always recommend against them. Bubble algae can be corrected with a fast growing macro that takes up iron, emeralds are simply too destructive.

My question: "I am trying to get a group buy going with our Louisiana Reef Club. Someone voiced concern about how long the Atlantic limpets and nerites can survive in our warmer aquariums. Some us let our tanks get up to 79-80 degrees. Did someone collect these critters near south Florida where it is warmer?"

Answer: Hello and thank you for reaching out. All our inverts unless stated otherwise are from South Florida and hand collected by me (the owner). The inverts are warm water native and are kept or cultured in our outdoor tanks, which we try to keep at steady 85F. It's funny you ask too, all of my personal displays are kept 85F since I specialize them for our oddest SFL native marine life.

A lot of these inverts can adapt to lower temperatures but generally I don't recommend going colder than 73 with most CUC as they'll begin to get sluggish or die off.

If you're planning a large group order you can organize that with me directly through email here or you're welcome to reach out directly through my phone number (954-665-5961), and I can offer you custom rates for larger orders. I also have other inverts or request only inverts on offer that will likely never see the website. But they are available for custom orders and wholesale.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Regards, E

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Message: "Could you please give us a list of your complete CUC? We may get more people interested in ordering if they find something they like. I would like to get some stomatella. Those are very tough and reproduce well in many tanks. I have lots of trochus reproduce.

Is it possible for different folks in the club to order separately with each person using their own credit/debit card to have the entire shipment going to one location? Could we please split the shipping evenly?"

Currently my list of available inverts are as follows:

CUC
Thinstripe hermits - Medium to Large.
Onchidella Floridana - mixed
Atlantic Limpets - mixed
Keyhole limpets - mixed (not reef safe)
Nerites: Zigzag, Checker, Bleeding Tooth - mixed
Dwarf Planaxis
Zigzag Periwinkle

Other Inverts
Whelks - unidentified but the blood is blue (not reef safe)

FL live rock with a large Pink/Red Ascidia tunicate, baby ascidia, white bryozoans and encrusting cyan sponge. All of it is aquacultured.

Cyan Sponge Branching/Encrusting - on eggcrate

Neon Red Chain Tunicates - on eggcrate or LR

Live wood. A piece of dead wood that sank and become encrusted with marine life. On the outside there are large oysters, white chain tunicates, clear tube tunicates with golden rings and random ascidia.
On the inside it's filled with various oysters clams and tube worms.

Algae
Wyld Dragon's Breath - frags only
Bonsai Hayi - my own strain of Gracilaria Hayi
Cali ogo - a strain of red ogo collected by a diver in California, visually similar to the usual red ogo but extremely fast growth with unique growth patterns.
Red Cotton Candy Algae - an odd algae native to the intercostal, under a microscope they look like huge fields of tiny trees. A very unusual growth. To the naked eye it looks like soft short clumps or mats of delicate light red GHA. It likely has the potential to be very invasive but it's not easy to grow.

Mangroves - sprouted or rooted in saltwater

And that's about it for now. Most of the algae is already heavily seeded with stomatellas and pods but I can always throw some adults in too. When it gets warmer we'll be able to start aquaculturing more.

In regards to shipping, if you wanted to order as a group and have the packages labeled for the individuals that's fine and I can offer my wholesale rates for that. It would have to be payed by one person.

If you guys wanted to order individually that's also fine, but then the rates would be retail and shipping would be our site's flat rate.

Pictures are hard to get for most of these inverts due to how they're cultured, but if there's something you were unclear on the look of I can do my best to provide a photo.

Let me know.
Regards, E.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Looks promising. Wish my tank could hold water off the floor :D

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
For those wrasse lovers out there, would these Atlantic limpets be a good option? They should be much more difficult for a wrasse to eat than our various snails we keep.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
I think they would be great for the wrasses '@BF@'

Now for the limpet lovers, not sure I recommend this. In general, if it can eat a snail, I would think it will "eventually" get a limpet.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Limpets leave much less flesh exposed for fish bites is my guess. Any one here with actual experience having both?
Looks like we may need you to do a science experiment for us :D

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I've got small key hole limpets in my system, when I had wrasses that would take the occasional snail down for a snack I noticed my display was void of any limpets. My sump and remote refugium still had plenty.
I would gander that wrasse could / can and will eat a limpet with little effort.

Fish are much stronger than we give them credit for as my gold stripe devil fish can remove frags from rock or heavy frags on plugs and send them into the waiting stinging corals at night. Not to mention the specialized skills and morphology of certain species.

I would recommend having a refugium for certain things like the slugs and limpets once you attain wrasse fish in the future.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Mike, thanks for passing-on the hands-on experience. I read that the keyhole limpets were not reef-safe. I guess a wrasse is not going to be on my shopping list long-term. The gold stripe devil fish seems like one I should avoid as well!