Wyld Zone group buy

Users who are viewing this thread

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Mike, thanks for passing-on the hands-on experience. I read that the keyhole limpets were not reef-safe. I guess a wrasse is not going to be on my shopping list long-term. The gold stripe devil fish seems like one I should avoid as well!

Yeah she is my wifes favorite fish and the reason I think I still have a tank LOL.

clsanchez77

Reefkeeping Extremist
Global Moderator
Mike, thanks for passing-on the hands-on experience. I read that the keyhole limpets were not reef-safe. I guess a wrasse is not going to be on my shopping list long-term. The gold stripe devil fish seems like one I should avoid as well!

I have had them when they hitchhike on Gulf rock and never had issues with them. Did not note specific species to provide anything more intelligent, other than I would not write them all off. I did find their nature keeps them on the rock, very tightly. I never found them on the glass, sand or corals.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I have had them when they hitchhike on Gulf rock and never had issues with them. Did not note specific species to provide anything more intelligent, other than I would not write them all off. I did find their nature keeps them on the rock, very tightly. I never found them on the glass, sand or corals.

The variety I have never get very big and stay rather small to about 3/8'' is the largest I've ever seen in years within my system.
They hang on the rock, glass and travel through my plumbing to the sump where I take them out and place back into the tank or the refugium.
Never seen them bother to be on any corals of any type.
As mentioned by Chris they are in the Keyhole family but exact species is unknown and not worrisome to me.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I thought this effort for a group buy was a flop; however, I spoke with Joey at Aquarium Central in Lafayette. He plans to do a wholesale order from the Wyld Zone! Below is a link for the website again if you want to go in on this order.
I plan to order the jellybean sea slugs in addition to other CUC. The slugs reportedly eat most nuisance algae known to man.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Wow. It looks like the Wyld Zone website is down. That doesn't help get folks to get on board to shop. I plan to call them in the late in morning if it is still down, yet my guess is that they are already aware of this.

The GOB

Blue Ring Octopus
Administrator
POTQ Winner
Think I read on Bobbies site that he shut down his operation.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I called this morning and the Wyld Zone is still in business! The owner is working on the website so it is down for a couple of days. I am giving the phone number to Joey so he can place the order. Please let me know of someone wants anything before the window for ordering closes.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Folks wanting to get stuff would not have to pay any shipping. If the jellybean sea slugs work, I plan to remove remove all emerald crabs from my systems. I already removed the lone crab from the 34 gallon frag tank which they will go into 1st. Emerals crabs could eat the slugs. I read that it is suspected that they taste bad so some wrasses will not eat them.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Joey called to set this up. This order and the next-day delivery will not happen until next week. I believe The Wyld Zobe is a one-man operation. He also wanted the updated website to be open and running first. I just checked and it appears to now be working.

There is supposed to be the release of another CUC that is new to SW aquaria.

The link I gave in post #24 does not work any longer. This one does:

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Joey called to set this up. This order and the next-day delivery will not happen until next week. I believe The Wyld Zobe is a one-man operation. He also wanted the updated website to be open and running first. I just checked and it appears to now be working.

There is supposed to be the release of another CUC that is new to SW aquaria.

The link I gave in post #24 does not work any longer. This one does:

Kevin when is the deadline for getting in on this order ?

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
He hopes to place the order at the latest Wed or Thursday for next day delivery on Thursday or Friday. I will ask if he can send me the wholesale livestock list.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
There isn't much on the wholesale list. Joey will order extra jellybean slugs. He will keep them in a dedicated system so they can hopefully breed and make more slugs. The order is being placed soon with plans for a Friday delivery. I will plan to post more details on Friday regarding availability and price. This gives folks more opportunity and time to get these to this new CUC to try out.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
Someone may have fish, crabs. or other critters that could eat these jellybean sea slugs. You may also have the very valid concern of 4 or 6 sea slugs having opportunity to meet-up to breed in a rather large system. This external breeding box below may be the solution to give greater opportunity for breeding to occur. The "fence" at the output will keep the adults in yet allow baby slugs to get into your display. I have used this sort of thing with breeding nudibranchs prior.

These animals are hermaphrodites. It is possible you could start the breeding process by only purchasing 2 slugs. Joey thinks it may be more natural for these animals to have some rock exposed above the waterline. I added some to my frag tank.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Someone may have fish, crabs. or other critters that could eat these jellybean sea slugs. You may also have the very valid concern of 4 or 6 sea slugs having opportunity to meet-up to breed in a rather large system. This external breeding box below may be the solution to give greater opportunity for breeding to occur. The "fence" at the output will keep the adults in yet allow baby slugs to get into your display. I have used this sort of thing with breeding nudibranchs prior.

These animals are hermaphrodites. It is possible you could start the breeding process by only purchasing 2 slugs. Joey thinks it may be more natural for these animals to have some rock exposed above the waterline. I added some to my frag tank.

Interesting little creatures for sure !

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I asked the owner of The Wyld Zone about the use of the above external breeder box. He wrote back the following which makes me unsure if even adults and juveniles can squeeze through the fence at the output to escape the box. Perhaps 15-20 open-cell foam could be used in addition at the output; however, that would need regular cleaning to prevent clogging and a resulting overflow. Here is his response:

"They will get through anything larger than their mouth. There are very few ways to keep them where you want them. They just go where they need to, through chemical detection. Also for breeding you'd want to do that in a smaller stand alone tank with more control on the environment.

Some more agressive fish may try to eat them but they usually spit them out. They taste foul naturally to other inverts so they aren't a popular choice to pick on. Plus again they spend most of their time inside a rock when they aren't grazing so not really the place a fish can bother them."

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
I think in a tank the size of yours they would be fine / cozy enough to breed.
You would just have to inspect your filter socks before draining / cleaning them like I have to do when I have berghia nudis.