Yellow Eye Kole Tang spot ID

Users who are viewing this thread

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Recently got a Yellow eye tang over the weekend. Have noticed a small splotch around his stomach area on one side. Can y’all help me I’d what it might be? Pictures aren’t the best coming from an iPhone but best I could get.
A4DADF3D-33ED-4FD7-ADB2-451E673AD731.jpeg6218520A-82D4-4AFE-9D0B-FC837179856C.jpeg3678362B-4CD5-4147-8E7F-4FD8A4BC97E0.jpeg4A1F3CAE-C314-412B-AAA8-4273E0314D0D.jpeg25DA5FA9-31BF-4745-931B-FA83A235A0DF.jpeg

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
He’s eating well and destroying the algae on my glass. Seems fine otherwise

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Good that the fish is eating well and going after algae with the fury, this means food will not be a factor for decline in health.

I agree that the fish could have scraped its belly on a rock cave at night, while swimming / grazing OR chasing another fish and likewise running from a fish.
Definitely read up on bacterial infection and fingerprint disease so you are familiar. For right now monitor the fish between behavior and eating habits and keep a sharp eye on the blotches you are seeing.
Taking pictures every day or every two / three days with your phone gives you something to compare easily and should be able to notice healing or getting worse.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Good that the fish is eating well and going after algae with the fury, this means food will not be a factor for decline in health.

I agree that the fish could have scraped its belly on a rock cave at night, while swimming / grazing OR chasing another fish and likewise running from a fish.
Definitely read up on bacterial infection and fingerprint disease so you are familiar. For right now monitor the fish between behavior and eating habits and keep a sharp eye on the blotches you are seeing.
Taking pictures every day or every two / three days with your phone gives you something to compare easily and should be able to notice healing or getting worse.
Yeah I’m unsure if it had it when I picked him up or if he got it while in my tank. Didn’t notice it while in the fish store. Need to stop impulse buying and have a plan to QT prior to putting in my tank. Hopefully will get lucky but if I see it getting any worse I have started my QT tank.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Is there something i could/should be doing to be proactive about this? Even if this turns out to be nothing, would adding vitamins or antibiotics to food be something i should be looking to do to try and head this off, if it is some kind of bacterial infection?

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
So it can kill them, but there is no treatment for it? Or it just goes away. That's odd. Will definitely keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.
Is there something i could/should be doing to be proactive about this? Even if this turns out to be nothing, would adding vitamins or antibiotics to food be something i should be looking to do to try and head this off, if it is some kind of bacterial infection?

The problem is no one really knows what causes Tang Fingerprint Disease, so what do you treat for? It is theorized to be either a bacterial or viral issue. Food soaking Selcon or Zoecon would be a prudent move, but I wouldn't food soak antibiotics unless you were reasonably certain it was a bacterial infection.

BluewaterLa

LARC Boil Master
Administrator
LARC Supporter
Agreed, Tangs can be super resilient when fed properly / sufficient amounts of foods.
Most often I will notice a scuff spot from grazing / chasing activity in the tank on one of mine and three days or so its gone.
Two of my tangs just got into their first actual squabble leaving a scalpel cut on each participant, within two days it was hardly a noticeable scratch.

treating the main things we know are fish killers or parasites that bring down immune systems of fish over time is best along with internal worms and such.
Bacterial infections can be treated in the QT as well to help the fish recover quicker and not infect other fish.
Sometimes all we can do with some of the things that are not understood all that well or flat out unknown is to keep the fish fed a diverse diet keeping their immune systems in good order.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
The problem is no one really knows what causes Tang Fingerprint Disease, so what do you treat for? It is theorized to be either a bacterial or viral issue. Food soaking Selcon or Zoecon would be a prudent move, but I wouldn't food soak antibiotics unless you were reasonably certain it was a bacterial infection.
I will try the Selcon or Zoecon, whichever i can find at a local store, and just keep an eye on it for now, to make sure it doesn't get any larger or spread to any other parts of the fish. Thanks

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
Agreed, Tangs can be super resilient when fed properly / sufficient amounts of foods.
Most often I will notice a scuff spot from grazing / chasing activity in the tank on one of mine and three days or so its gone.
Two of my tangs just got into their first actual squabble leaving a scalpel cut on each participant, within two days it was hardly a noticeable scratch.

treating the main things we know are fish killers or parasites that bring down immune systems of fish over time is best along with internal worms and such.
Bacterial infections can be treated in the QT as well to help the fish recover quicker and not infect other fish.
Sometimes all we can do with some of the things that are not understood all that well or flat out unknown is to keep the fish fed a diverse diet keeping their immune systems in good order.
I got the fish from Coral Connection and when i asked if the fish was treated in anyway, they told me it was treated with copper, so i felt a little better about putting it in my tank with out QT. That said i would doubt it would be any kind of parasite. I will continue to take some pictures to monitor it, along with supplements to diet, hopefully will see some improvements soon.

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
I will try the Selcon or Zoecon, whichever i can find at a local store, and just keep an eye on it for now, to make sure it doesn't get any larger or spread to any other parts of the fish. Thanks

Tang Fingerprint Disease typically disappears after a few days, so if it's still there it might be a bacterial infection.

Humblefish

HF
Administrator
LARC Supporter
POTM Winner
Seems to be a little more pronounced today. What would be my best option for treatment

I would QT and treat with Kanaplex. That is a readily absorbable antibiotic. You can also food soak it (use Seachem Focus to make it reef safe); but dosing Kana directly into the water would be most effective.

BryanJr

Harlequin Tusk
I would QT and treat with Kanaplex. That is a readily absorbable antibiotic. You can also food soak it (use Seachem Focus to make it reef safe); but dosing Kana directly into the water would be most effective.
I will see if I can get some tomorrow and start in QT. Is prime the best to use to keep ammonia and nitrites down while in qt and can they be used with Kanaplex?