Zoas aren't opening anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

College_Coral

Aptasia
I've started to cut back on the amount I've been feeding my tank just to control algae a little better but i noticed ever since I've done this my zoas have been pretty unhappy, everything else is thriving and doing great except for them. It seems like they are not adjusting to the change at all and im lucky if a polyp or two is partially open. Im not sure if i should start feeding more just to cater to the zoas or if i should wait it out, however it has been a week since some polyps have opened at all.

CenlaReefer

Spiny Star Astraea
LARC Supporter
I would try to keep a window open for some fresh air. I found that keeping zoas indoors was much more difficult than out in my sunroom.

Has anyone had experience with zoas closing-up because of ultra low phosphate and nitrate?

6lilfish

Ko-Ko Worm
I've started to cut back on the amount I've been feeding my tank just to control algae a little better but i noticed ever since I've done this my zoas have been pretty unhappy, everything else is thriving and doing great except for them. It seems like they are not adjusting to the change at all and im lucky if a polyp or two is partially open. Im not sure if i should start feeding more just to cater to the zoas or if i should wait it out, however it has been a week since some polyps have opened at all.

This is a tough one. As neglected as my tank is my zoas are doing great. It could possibly be your water is too clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6lilfish

Ko-Ko Worm
Are they just closed or do they look like they are turning black like dying

College_Coral

Aptasia
This is a tough one. As neglected as my tank is my zoas are doing great. It could possibly be your water is too clean.

That's what I'm thinking but since its a pico I've been trying to keep it as low and controlled as possible

6lilfish

Ko-Ko Worm
Maybe turn off return pump. And try some to spot feed just them with some reef roids. Only time I ever had issues with zoas was from clean up crew aggravating them or from algae.you could try blowing them with a Turkey baster

College_Coral

Aptasia
Maybe turn off return pump. And try some to spot feed just them with some reef roids. Only time I ever had issues with zoas was from clean up crew aggravating them or from algae.you could try blowing them with a Turkey baster

I'll try that then, thank you

College_Coral

Aptasia
I would try to keep a window open for some fresh air. I found that keeping zoas indoors was much more difficult than out in my sunroom.

Has anyone had experience with zoas closing-up because of ultra low phosphate and nitrate?
That might also be it , although the tank is next to the front door and we're in and out of the dorm alot as well as all the plants in the room.

College_Coral

Aptasia
I had problems with zoas for a while I was over filtering. I found increasing feedings cutting back how much filter media I was useing and adding amino acid supplement perked mine up.
Im probably going to try broadcast feeding a day before water change because i measured my nitrates and they're almost zero so i think thats the problem, its too clean